Question about a Disposal Well

We hold the 75% Mineral Rights on W2 of 17, 158N, 97W in Williams County with a lease that expires in January 2012.

While reviewing the daily activity reports today, read the following: PERMITTED FOR DISPOSAL: #90187 - Hess Corporation, GO-Bergstrom D-158-97-17, SWNE 17-158N-97W, Williams CO., 2410' FNL and 1860' FEL, SALT WATER DISPOSAL, Wildcat, 'Tight Hole', 2281' Ground, API #33-105-90187.

This leads me to several questions: 1. Where exactly is SWNE? or Where can I learn to read a Township map? 2. Can Hess hold/create a pooling unit with this well that would hold our current lease intact? 3. Will disposal well negatively impact our ability to negotiate a new lease?

William:

If you will google "Bakken Shale Discussion" and go back several pages (by clicking "Older" at bottom) and find the topic "Understanding Sections", you will find one post that refers to http://blog.familytreemagazine.com/; click on this and this will give you a map of a section with the explaination about how is broken down. I don't feel that a disposal well will effect your ability to negotiate a new lease. Hope this information helps as it is a very good description of a section.

Thanks, Charles, for the prompt reply and for the Guidance two the explaination of the township. You didn't respond to question #2. Could you?

Bill

charles s mallory said:

William:

If you will google "Bakken Shale Discussion" and go back several pages (by clicking "Older" at bottom) and find the topic "Understanding Sections", you will find one post that refers to http://blog.familytreemagazine.com/; click on this and this will give you a map of a section with the explaination about how is broken down. I don't feel that a disposal well will effect your ability to negotiate a new lease. Hope this information helps as it is a very good description of a section.

William:

You will have to read your lease but normally a SWD well will not constitute the holding of a lease. Actually, the SWD well could prove to be a plus for the area.