PSL lands in Reeves county and activity in the area of our land

My name is David G.

My sister and I own 160 acres in Reeves County. The property as described on the real estate tax bill is: BLK C-17, Tract 8, AB 2414, SEC 8, PSL W/4. I have 3 questions:

1. What is the significance of the PSL designation and does this effect how a lessee pays bonuses/royalties?

2. Does anyone have an idea of lease rates near our property?

3. Where can I find a map of wells near our land?

This is the first time I have participated in the discussions. I hope I properly submitted my questions. Thank you for your help.

1) PSL is only the survey associated with the legal description, as is the case for H&GN or T&P, which were railroad companies, but it's solely for identification purposes now. Land acts were passed throughout the early 1900's but for the W/4 of this section it's free and clear, but the East 3/4 of the section is affected by the free royalty reservation to the state, I haven't looked into this section but it's normally a 1/16 free royalty of all production in paying quantities of oil and gas and 1/8 free royalty Sulphur, in most cases.

2) Not sure on per acre bonus offers, or terms of leases in that area, I just know there's not much going on yet in your area, according to http://wwwgisp.rrc.texas.gov/GISViewer2/

3) Use above link to find your section, 10 miles northwest of the town of Toyah on I-20, and any activity, but there's not much going on at this moment.

According to the General Land Office, the W/4 of Section 8, Block C-17, PSL was Patented May 7, 1977 by Patent No 215, Volume 43-B to Herman Bernstein, successor to R.P. Rawlings, original grantee. The actual patent file is not available online. I agree with the other Bobby that the land does not appear to be a free royalty or a mineral classified tract, so the minerals are "free and clear" of any reservation by the State. To be certain, you can check with the General Land Office, or find the Patent (I searched on Texas File and didn't find it of record).

Your land appears to be in the general area of the Apache "Alpine High" play. I would expect that if you own minerals in this tract that you would have been contacted by now about leasing or selling your interest. How long have you owned this land?

Your post got me curious, so I did a little digging.

I did not find a Deed into your predecessors in title, William H. and Melvin A. Rosenfeld, as the online Reeves County records do not go back far enough.

I found three Oil and Gas Leases from William and Melvin: 1960 to the Pure Oil Company, and in 1970 and 1980 to Gulf Oil Corporation. William and Melvin executed a Rental Division Order in 1981 "claiming" an 8/8 interest in the $160 rental due under the 1980 lease. I also noted that you and your sister leased the subject land to 777 Oil Company in 2006. The primary term of this lease is illegible, but it would appear that your land is "Open".

Good Luck!

Bobby,

Thank you for the info. It was very interesting. I am just learning about participating in the discussion. I have been a member for a few years,but have never participated. I am also learning about land related websites in Texas. If the land is "free and clear" does that mean a lessee would not have to pay any bonus or royalty to the state? If that is true could it help me get higher bonus/royalties because the lessee would pay nothing to the state?

Bobby Grace,

Thank you for the info in your 2 replies. We have owned the land for 11 years. Herman Bernstein was my great uncle, William is my uncle, and Melvin was my father. My dad and uncle gave the land to my sister and me in 2006. My father was working at Pure Oil when he leased them the land, although I did not know that. If the land is "open" does that mean a lessee would not have to pay any bonus/royalty to the state? If true, would that put us in a better negotiating positio for a lease?

David G.

In landman lingo Open means not subject to a current oil and gas lease.

I would still like to see the actual Patent to this land, or confirm with the GLO

that the land is not mineral classified or subject to a free royalty, but yes, it

appears that you are in a "good negoteating position"!