Proving Landowner’s Identity

I’m working something in Texas. This guy received a small amount of minerals in the 40s, and only identified himself by initials and last name. I have his signature on an old lease for the tract and found a military registration card with a similar looking signature. The registration card gave his full name and his wife’s name, and their residence in my county. That’s literally all I have to go on. There’s nothing else in the County records. I’ve continued research on the guy and know who his heirs are, I just don’t know if a similar looking signature is enough to go on to prove his identity. I’ve contacted his wife, but she hasn’t found anything in her records linking her husband to the tract. Has anyone else run into this problem before? Were you able to solve it? If so, how?

Hello, I have found a couple of places that really helped me with discovery of multiple family members identity, both of ancestors and living members too. There are some decent databases from ancestry & some are directly accessable. For example my particular states historical society allows free research access to some which includes alot of community information as well. Then there is a website absolutely unwavering in identity integrity named “Wikitree” consisting of professional genealogist from all over the world who are willing to help anyone find anyone and what their identity is who they are they just give you the information. I hope these help & be blessed.

If there was any production from the well, then the wife might have some pay stubs or tax records. Occasionally, there are addresses on leases. Finally, check the state and county as indicated by the notary where the property was located.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.