Proposed property tax notice for mineral right owner

I have mineral rights regarding active production, Shelby Co. TX. It pays very little if at all each year. I received a small payment this week (which doesn’t happen often) and a separate piece of mail "2021 Proposed Property Tax Information " post card. Showing Statement on it - Notice of estimated taxes: The estimated amount of taxes to be imposed and information on actions taken or proposed actions by each local taxing unit concerning the 2021 property taxes on your property can be found at: www.shelby.truthintaxation.com I enter that address and internet closes, meaning site doesn’t work, I guess. (Can’t find anything online related to that site address. Card also has Assessor info as Debora Riley, County Tax Assessor with phone contact info. From Center, Texas to request Tax info.

I hv never been aware of property taxes being required for mineral/Royal owners, who don’t own the physical property. Whether it is a lease on mineral rights or payments on active wells.

Is there such a Tax? Why am I just hearing about it? Any info will surely help

Most Texas counties assess ad valorrm (property tax) on producing royalties. If the web link is bad google the Shelby County Tax Assessor.

In many areas, the surface ownership has been severed from the mineral ownership. I get taxed on any minerals that are producing even though I do not own the acreage above them.

I just received the same post card for my county and the link did work.

Thanks for the info. Thru the years, as me and my mom tried to learn more about her mineral rights and the rest of the family, Noone mentioned property taxes when working with leases or when discussing production possibilities on leases. So this comes as a shocking surprise.
I tried the address several times, maybe something on my end, as it still doesn’t work. I had already pulled up assessors.

The other curious thing to me is on the postcard it shows 2021 “Proposed” property tax. Proposed is a curious word.

What I have read in Texas tax laws, so far today, it seems if you make less then 500 dollars a year, reference producing wells, no property tax is assessed. But still trying to learn more. It just blows my mind , property tax, on mineral rights.
Hmmmm

In OK, the severance tax is taken out by the operator before the royalty owner gets their royalties. Nice and tidy. In TX, the royalty owner has to pay it through the state tax system. Just like you may have to pay taxes on interest and dividends, any income you get from royalties is taxed. It is also taxed at the federal level.

Others counties are sending this same postcard. You can f]search by name and find anticipated tax assessment on properties at new tax rates for county, school district, etc. Enter the address without www. preceding. Here is link - https://shelby.truthintaxation.com/property-search

I have pulled up the tax site and reviewed files.

Just wanted to update those who shared. I researched and then called the Assessor. State of Texas applies an assessed value to any producing Minerals & taxes those mineral royalties as property tax. The bills are mailed every Oct. Only if your "property " has assessed value over 500.00 dollars. They apparently decided it a good idea to mail the postcards so royalty owners are aware. It would have helped if they just put the above info either on card or tax sight, but they didn’t. Mine has been trickling in production for about 6 years, but this is the first I have ever heard of property taxes on mineral rights. But now I know. Thanks for all the replies and info.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.