Property taxes

I live in Texas and I receive royalty payments for property in Garvin county. For the past 10 years I have received $500 to $1000 annually and in 2023 I received a little over $20,000. I have never received a property tax bill. Is this an error or does Garvin county not bill property taxes to out-of-state owners?

I see a website for Garvin county assessors office but I’m not able to search my name as they charge $35 per month to do searches. Wondering if I should just enroll for a month and see what my status is or should I give them a call?

OK does not charge property taxes like TX on production. The State taxes are taken out by the operator and paid to the state if there is production. You should talk to an accountant about filing an OK state return though. Especially if you had a large income in in 2023.

Also, in Oklahoma if your only have a mineral interest without any surface, your name will not show up on the assessor’s records, unless they messed up.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

1 Like

Thank you all for the input! I do plan to file an Oklahoma tax return for 2023 -thanks for the mention!

Lori- Minerals, producing or not, are not taxed by the county or state in Oklahoma. Only the revenue from production is taxed.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.