Property taxes Garvin County

I am a Texas resident and I receive Royalties on properties I own in Garvin county. Over the past 10 years I have received $500-1000 annually. In 2023 I received over $20,000. I have never received a property tax bill. Is this an error or does Oklahoma not bill property taxes to out of state owners?

I see a website for Garvin County Asessors

Office that charges $35 per month to be able to perform searches. Should I pay and search my name to determine if I have a pending tax bill? Or just give them a call?

See the replies to the question under your other topic area. OK does not operate the same way as TX. If there is production, the operators will take out the State income tax and the production tax and give to the proper authorities. You will have to file an OK state return. No separate tax bills go out like Texas,

Be sure and save all of your well payment statements for seven years for IRS and state tax purposes-just in case. Some operators in OK list all deductions on the 1099-MISC, but some only list the gross royalties and the state tax and don’t list the severance tax or other deductions. You need the statements to be able to reconcile. Don’t forget that you can take 15% depletion. Talk to your accountant on how to do that properly.

1 Like

Agree with Martha. Unless you own a surface interest, you won’t receive a property (ad valorem ) tax bill.

Now, if you want to make sure that you haven’t dropped the ball somewhere, you can do a search on the Garvin county Treasurer’s office by name (for free). For example, if you put in the last name of Scott, it will show all properties where the taxpayer is supposed to be Scott. If you don’t see your name or the name of an ancestor, you should be in the clear.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.