Property taxes for mineral rights, surface land

I am taking over managing our family’s ownership of mineral rights and surface holdings in counties throughout OK. We’ve been paying property taxes in some counties and not others, and I can’t figure out why. We own undivided shares so aren’t we still responsible for property taxes in all counties where we have surface land? Do we also pay property taxes on mineral rights?? Thank you in advance.

Generally you are required to pay property taxes on all of the surface, but if you own an undivided interest maybe someone else is paying them. I would call the county assessor and ask some follow up questions. There isn’t a clear answer without knowing more about your specific fact scenario.

As for mineral interest in Oklahoma, property taxes are not paid like surface interest, but are taxed when the minerals are produced. So you do pay taxes on mineral interests, just in a different way.

Thank you very much!

Hello and thank you! I have another question since I see you are an attorney. My cousin who formally managed our holdings did quite a lot of quit claim deeds to transfer our shares back and forth (to himself, to trusts for other family members). I’ve searched property records on-line and have everything tracked and organized, but I’m wondering if a Landman could do something I can’t? The deeds are all from 10 years ago so nothing ancient. But some counties like Creek still are hard to decipher. I’m trying to figure out if I need to hire a Landman or go straight to an attorney. Or if it’s worth it at all. Thank you so much!!!

It depends what needs to be done. If you need Quit Claim Deeds drafted you should contact an attorney. If you need help deciphering ownership both an attorney and a landman can do that, but a landman would be more cost effective.

1 Like

I created this page on the forum, it might help you with tracking down mineral interests. https://www.mineralrightsforum.com/t/oklahoma-county-land-records-online-search/42583 Some links might be out of date.

Generally a landman can perform a title examination with good results and for less cost of having an attorney do so. One critical step is for continuity of ownership while avoiding probate generally through trusts or transfer on death deeds.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.