Property tax on Texas minerals

I am in a 640 acre pool and the only mineral owner that is not in the city limits. I don’t pay city taxes on our surface acres but they are charging me city taxes on the minerals under our property. Anyone have any thoughts? It seems to me I should not have to pay city taxes. Thanks

That is an interesting scenario and probably happens rather frequently. You did not say which county, but I would try to talk directly to the county’s appraisal district (preferably to the director). That is something the appraisal district should be able to fix.

I have minerals in a similar situation , where the pooled unit crosses county lines. I get a tax bill from both counties. Your production is coming not only from under your surface outside the city limits, it is coming from minerals under other surfaces that are in the city limits. The appraisal district will prorate the city taxes to all royalty owners.

Thanks for your reply

I guess in need to figure out the standard percentage and see if they deducted out the portion not in the city. My guess is not. Thanks for the reply

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.