Property tax notices

Wondering if anyone has floated the idea of not billing Royalty owner who tax bill in their county is less that $10 or $15. The cost of mailing and processing such small payment has to be a loss at some small amount. Or only send out a bill when it hit $100. It shouldn’t be hard to automate that process.

I’ve had problems with not knowing how much the appraised amount is on the property therefore how much the taxes are. It’s getting better, especially in Texas, where a lot of counties are listing appraisal amounts and if taxes have been assessed online. I print them for my file if no taxes due.
My experience in Kansas is non producing minerals, even with low value appraisals, are still taxed so I would write the County and ask if taxes are due & enclose a stamped self addressed envelope.

Ann Whitchurch

Agree with you. But common sense is a flower that doesn’t grow in every garden. Requires legislative change to accomplish.

In Kansas the non-producing severed mineral tax is now a county option, not every county does it. The rate they tax severed interests also varies greatly.

ewww - I’m just one of the unlucky ones. Thanks for the info.

Ann

That’s ridiculous they tax severed non producing mineral interests. I’m glad I don’t own any interests like that.

Several states tax non-producing interests. Here’s the only advantage to it - your interest cannot be declared abandoned / dormant if you are current on the taxes.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.