Property tax bill in Dodderidge AND Ritchie counties

Our rights are in Doddridge and Antero is producing. Now we received a property tax bill from Ritchie county as well as Doddridge. The Ritchie tax bill is several times higher. Any idea why tax bills from another (second) county where we don’t own rights?

I experienced a similar situation, although for me I got a tax bill for Grant District. Before it’s always just been west union where our mineral rights property is located.

Contact the taxing authority and find out why they sent you the second bill. They may have an error or you may have more rights that you knew about.

Ritchie County tax office was vague, but thought perhaps there were well heads in Ritchie. Said something about trying to get the State involved in clarifying and rationalizing. I think my next step is to ask Antero customer relations.

1 Like

My mineral rights are 100% in Midland County, Tx, However, the wells start in Midland and ends in Upton. 84% of the pipelines are in Midland and 16% are in Upton. I get 2 tax bills on the mineral rights. Midland bills me 84% and Upton 16% of the assessed value.

There may be a good reason and there may not. You’ll have to talk with Ritchie County, and even when you talk with them they may not be able to give a satisfactory answer. You’ll probably have to do some research on your own. I suspect that part of the property lies in Ritchie County and Antero reported production to Ritchie, so Ritchie created a tax ticket. That’s just a guess, though. You’ll need to dig in to this one.

just remember that they are taxing you on the well production and not the property

Thank you to everyone for your comments. I was able to talk to the assessors office and although vague, I was able to understand why I received the tax ticket for the additional county. As Perry stated in his comment, taxes are based on Well production not property.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.