Probate Attorney - Pro-Bono-Low Cost Need

Hello all from California!

Single Mom and daughter have learned over the past 3 years that we are entitled to mineral rights in McClain County. We are with Energy 29/Native Exploration. I have filed everything I could to be entitled, however due to the fact that I am not a blood relative to the deceased owner (My step mother) I have been told I need to file do a probate of the estate with the State of Oklahoma. I am low-come and need assistance in doing this. I am easy to work with, intelligent, communicative and willing to assist. Does ANYONE out there know of an excellent pro-bono or low cost probate attorney? How do I find one? I live in California. Thank you so much in advance!

Well, I’ll weigh in. The last time I checked, attorneys still have 1) employees to pay, 2) pay office rent, 3) pay malpractice insurance, 4) pay bar dues, 5) pay telephone bills, 6) in this case, pay a filing fee with the court, etc. Not to mention, attorneys need to eat, and pay their home bills. It would be one thing if the matter were a divorce with no assets, or a custody case. But this property has enough money in suspense that Native is requiring a probate. Do you know how much is in suspense? There are at least three ways to handle this to pay the attorney -a) pay him or her with a portion of the mineral rights, b) sell a portion of the mineral rights for funds to pay the attorney, or c) if there is enough money in suspense, he/she can be paid out of the revenue being held by Native.

2 Likes

Please don’t EVER us the word “Attorney” with the word “Free” in them same sentence ever again.

Their hearts are much too weak to take that type of shock and you will be held responsible for the carnage that ensues…

2 Likes

Legal Resources – Oklahoma Bar Association (okbar.org)

1 Like

I agree with Tim, those are options for payment. There are also companies that finance attorney’s fee and costs.

Another bigger question is whether you are entitled to inherit at all. If your step-mother did not have a Last Will and Testament and/or adopt you; you may not be able to inherit anything.

Likely the best you will find is an attorney who handles this type of matter on a flat fee Baisis.

Lots of attorneys do pro bono work on purpose. But these rarely involve situations where the client inherits a significant asset.

You can try Legal Aid of Oklahoma, but I doubt that this type of matter would fall within the classes of cases they accept.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

1 Like

You do need a probate. I inherited was paid years ago when parents were alive & now both parents passed and I had to submit the “ close of probate” to 2 different counties in TX. A Will / Trust is everything. Are you listed in this? What I have found out, if your due royalties … Oil companies will find you. Submitting paperwork is great, staying on top of it, but they search extensively to find you … a trickle down effect.

This attorney was recommended by someone who used him for probate so you might try.

S. Brent Bahner, PLLC

100 “E” Street S.W., Suite 200/P.O. Box 1766

Ardmore, OK 73402

(580) 223-4321

(580) 226-4795 (fax)

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.