Previous mineral contract

I have been approached about leasing out my mineral rights. However they found that parcels of my property were already in lease since 1972. When we purchased this property 4 yrs ago the mineral rights were included in the purchase. We have contacted the company listed as the leasee and they wont disclose if someone has been being paid these yrs…however it is a " working" well. The person spoken to was dificult and rude and hung up on me after telling me to send proof of deed and a w9. However its not just about a check. I dont care to do business with this company. How do I get released from this previous contract so I can lease all of my land to one company of my choosing?

You are “stuck” with them until they sellout or the lease expires due to lack of production. Send via certified mail a copy of the recorded deed and the W-9. Since you don’t like them, take your money that they sent you and donate all of to your favorite charity.

Welcome to the forum.
If you were already held by an old lease, it stays in effect as long as the terms of the lease are in force. Many of us are held by these old leases and we are stuck as they are still valid. I have one lease that is over 100 years old and still going. The old lessee might have turned over the lease to a new operator. The operator is responsible for paying the royalties. Mineral owners are responsible for notifying the operator of their ownership if there is a change. Make sure your name and address and description of the acreage are on file with the recorder of deeds in the county where they are located.

Using the description of your property, you can go onto the Ohio Oil and Gas Commission website and find out about the drilling and who the current operator is.
https://gis.ohiodnr.gov/MapViewer/?config=oilgaswells

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.