Previous conveyance clause

Hello, My late dad inherited 40 acres and minerals. He remarried and sold the 40 acres. “Less and except an undivided 1/2 mineral interest previous conveyed” is noted on the joint warranty deed for the property sold while married to my stepmother.

He inherited the property 30 years prior from his dad when married to my mom. Property located in Logan County, OK.

Can the stepmother have rights to the minerals since she was married and listed on the joint tenancy warranty deed mentioned above which reflects him and stepmother?

Patricia:

As a landman for 37+ years, this conveyance conveys everything your father owned resulting in him not owning anything going forward. He reserved unto previous owners, the 1/2 that he didn’t own, thereby conveying everything that he did own.

I say this without seeing the previous conveyances but this is a common mistake that folks make.

Respectfully Todd M. Baker

Thank you for your answer. Just wondering because he did collect royalties for a while after selling the land.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.