Pony Oil Capital

Has anyone dealt with them on sale of mineral rights? What does anyone know about them’

In my experience, any time a buyer wants my minerals, they know something that I don’t know (yet) and they plan on making a profit off of me. Unless you really need to sell, wait a bit and find out what is going on in your area. Check your oil and gas commission website for pending permits, leases in your area at the courthouse, etc. If I needed to sell, I would get offers from several firms and take the most competitive one.

1 Like

They are a real company with actual money to pay you. I don’t think they are the gold standard but it’s not a scam either. There is also a 99.99% chance that they are selling whatever they buy to somebody else.

In my experience what a buyer knows that you don’t know is the market, not any particular thing about activity. If they are buying at X they know they can sell to somebody else at 1.25X. And that 0.25X is the profit. Can you sell at 1.25X directly? Maybe. Probably not. Depends on how big your interest is. But always good to know what is going on and good to have multiple offers. If there is real activity (permits, drilling) you should get a lot of offers. Maybe you have lots of offers and there’s is the highest.

I’m sure if you list your location somebody can tell you what might be up.

I agree with NMoilboy. I was just at a Minerals & Royalties conference this week and they definitely have a defined food chain for how the little fish buy and then a bigger fish buys, etc., etc. They have a strategy, know what they are looking for, their time frame, etc. Most of their conversations at this conference were around the Permian Basin including both the Delaware and Midland sides, Eagle Ford, Haynesville, Appalachia, and a few others. Eddy and Lea are very popular. Some companies buy and flip on a short term scale. Others buy and hold. Then from the mineral owner side, once you sell, it is gone. So if you have to or want to sell, get the best deal you can. If you don’t have to sell and you have good acreage, just say no.

1 Like

I believe that the Interior Department has an indefinite pause on drilling on all federal land in New Mexico, so how does that affect NRA values in the hear term?

The Interior Dept has a pause on new federal leasing. But pretty much anything worth a crap is leased in NM. The BLM continue to approve permits on existing leases. Business as usual.

There are 108 rigs in NM today. 69 of them are on Federal land I believe. That’s about par for course. 2/3 Fed land.

NM production (and taxes to the state) are 7 times what it was in 2015. It funds every goofball gov’t initiative in the state. NM politics is progressive/left whatever leaning as a whole due to the majority of the population being in the North and being Colorado/California lite. But those people, like all politicians, like money and power. Without oil and gas revenue there is a whole lot less of both. A ban on federal drilling in NM would not happen without a major fight between federal Dems and local Dems. Which means it won’t happen. IMO.

1 Like

If oil and gas taxes paid to the state have increased 7 fold since 2015, why am I seeing in Forbes that New Mexico public schools are ranked dead last in the country, 51 of 51? What is going on there? It sounds as though oil and gas provide ample funds for good schools. There is an apparent disconnect there.

Simply put, NM is a poophole. At some point its down to the human capital, and on that front, a large portion of the state population is, to be polite, indifferent to education. For a variety of reasons. It’s hard to fix that, and I’d also guess that people in charge are more worried about using funds to buy votes or do some mild level of looting of the treasury. But I’m an optimist :grinning:

2 Likes

Now that Harrell has been defeated by a Democrat environmentalist, whose congressional district is where most oil and gas in the state is produced, what impact does this have on continued development of new drilling and production in the state, which is primarily federal land?

Well…since you asked. I would expect nothing to happen.

In my observations, in this country, almost nobody in politics changes anything of any real significance. Particularly if it involves swimming upstream against a current of money. Similar to what I said above. It’s easy to imagine a worst case scenario for anything depending on your perspective on a whole variety of topics designed to get people worked up. Generally…nothing happens. People talk about 50 things, of those they try to change 5 things, they find it’s really hard to change anything. So they go to parties and fly private and figure out how to shovel money to themselves and get re-elected. Thats the prize for winning District 2.

NM District 2 has been changed dramatically. A cynic would think it was straight up gerrymandering, which tends to happen when a single party controls the state. But basically the Republican heavy area of the state has been split amongst all the Districts now. So they have very little chance of winning any of them. Prior to redistricting, most of the Republican areas were District 2. So you typically had a Southern NM congress-person who was pro oil and gas. Not likely anymore. Tough beats, more people in the North.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.