Permico, BPX, Wilkinson Heirs, Reeves Co Texas

Share of mineral rights as Wilkinson heir was sold to Permico in 2021 for property in Reeves County Texas. Have recently received communication from BPX Energy advising of revenue to be disbursed to heirs based upon production prior to 2021. Permico never advised that a producing well was on the property! This appears to have been an intentional omission in Permico’s 2021 offer which would have definitely altered my response. Is this legal within oil/gas industry in Texas? A prior post several years ago mentioned “case of Wilkinson heirs & Permico”. Is there an active legal action associated with this subject?

If I read that correctly, the interest was in suspense with BPX because courthouse title records had a stranded interest in the Estate of a deceased Wilkinson somewhere in record title.

If there was administration of an Estate that is required to vest title to the devisees, then it is the responsibility to register a foreign probate in courthouse deed records.

If there was no will and the interest devised via Texas Intestate Succession, then it did so immediately upon death, and did not, nor was ever held or passed through the Estate of the deceased.

If Permico went through the efforts to “Cure” the interest to the devisees/successors, then that would impact the fact that the interest was stranded of records title and they brought it forward. I do not see that they would have had an obligation to let you know if there was production on the tract. Texas RRC inquiries of such tract based matters are within the public domain.

You may also wish to check with ClaimitTexas website of the texas comptroller’s dormant accounts as interest is probably held in dormant accounts under the name of the deceased, which you can also claim

Thank you. Most appreciated.

No it’s not legal for the company to do that in your case. Get you an attorney.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.