Visualizing US shale oil and gas production by Enno Peters: Permian – update through March 2017 is an incredible interactive resource with a tremendous amount of data on 11047 selected horizontal wells in the Permian (Texas & New Mexico) that started producing since 2009/2010, through March 2017. Be sure to take advantage of both interactive charts on the page. He also offers similar interactive charts for other regions in the United States.
The above presentations have many interactive features:
- You can click through the blocks on the top to see the slides.
- Each slide has filters that can be set, e.g. to select individual or groups of operators. You can first click “all” to deselect all items. You have to click the “apply” button at the bottom to enforce the changes. After that, click anywhere on the presentation.
- Tooltips are shown by just hovering the mouse over parts of the presentation.
- You can move the map around, and zoom in/out.
- By clicking on the legend you can highlight selected items.
- Note that filters have to be set for each tab separately.
- The operator who currently owns the well is designated by “operator (current)”. The operator who operated a well in a past month is designated by “operator (actual)”. This distinction is useful when the ownership of a well changed over time.
- If you have any questions on how to use the interactivity, or how to analyze specific questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.