Percheron Energy Pipeline

I have a place in Lavaca Co and recieved a phone call from a landman representing Percheron Energy about rightaway across my place for a pipeline. Does anyone know anythign about the pipeline or the company? Any idea on going rates and how to get compensation for lost grazing and hay crop? This is my first dealing with pipe line rightaway.

There is a lot more to pipeline right of way than just the pipe. The price should go up as pipe diameter increases. Construction, maintenance, and inspection of the pipeline widen the easement beyond just room for the pipe and make it a long time matter. Require that the excavation be "double-ditched" to keep top soil separate. 2 web sites might be useful, one is run by a lawyer whom I don't know or endorse. Those sites are below, and you might do well to hire an oil and gas lawyer. Also type "pipeline right of way" into Google search box. Here are two sites: http://www.pipeline101.com/pipelinesyou/landowner.html and http://www.pipelineattorney.com/learning-resources/5-common-landowner-mistakes.html

Get professional help that is truly on your side, it should pay for itself many times over, not to mention possibly saving you many thousands of dollars and trouble in the future. You still need to study on easements so you can ask the correct questions of your advisor and to make sure they do a good job. I would say that if they did not suggest at least 15 alterations to the easement supplied by whoever is seeking the easement, you are not being adequately assisted.

I have seen people grant easements for less than the easement diminished their property value and to me that means they lost money!

Percheron is a Land Acquisition and Management company specializing in energy & transportation. They are likely representing an oil/gas company who will own the pipeline. The Percheron landmen i worked with 3-4 years ago in DeWitt Co. were good/nice folks. Here are a couple of thoughts to keep in mind..... Whatever the initial offer is, it is on the lower end. A pipeline ROW will be there forever so placement/location is critical so as not to devalue or diminish your land and its intended use. Find out who Percheron is representing and then research where that Company is "trying" to run their pipeline. (if your land sits right in the middle of the shortest route, you negotiate for higher price per rod) Ask if this project has eminent domain. Most importantly use an attorney qualified to represent you. Last but not least, if you don't like the the idea of a pipeline ROW going through you pasture then don't do it. They last forever but the money they pay you is only paid once and then it's gone.....

I have two pipeline easements running across my place. The older of the two was signed in 1930 by my grandfather. I'm not kidding. So JMH is correct in that they are there forever, if not longer. IMO, one of the most important questions to be asked is whether the pipeline is 'transmission' or 'gathering'. Transmission means that the products from multiple companies are most likely being transported. A transmission pipeline falls under the eminent domain rules like a large power line and even though you still certainly need to see an attorney versed in this kind of thing (NOT particularly the guy who did your will) the best you can do is to 'work with' the pipeline folks because the route and so on can be negotiated to a small extent.

A gathering pipeline is another thing entirely. Producing wells (particularly gas wells) owned by a single Operator (Sanchez, PVA, et al) need a way to get their product to market, and so they might come asking to run a pipeline across your place. You can tell these guys to get lost if that's what you want. Or you can work with them to route the pipeline down a fence line. You can even put in something like '$5000 for each tree over eight inches in diameter.' if you so desire. You have the high ground in negotiations for a gathering pipeline.

The absolute most important phrase in your easement agreement is: 'NO ABOVEGROUND APPURTENANCES'. Otherwise they have the right to do whatever they want within their 30 foot easement. My older easement still grants the right for TELEGRAPH lines to be run within the easement. I think I've gotten past that danger, though.

Hope this helps.

Funny you say that, we may be on same line. My Great-Great Grandfather was paid $12.50 TOTAL in the late '20's for a line that cuts through the side of my pasture on a 20 degree angle. It supplies Cuero with Nat Gas so its not going anywhere probably ever. The worst thing is its not all that deep in some places. Makes a nice sendera for hunting though. I did two more lines in 2010 and was able follow fence lines and a major power line. My only regret is not negotiating harder for max dollars. I did well enough but in hindsight think i may could have done better. Can't say it enough.... Pipelines are forever!

My grandfather got $7.64 total. Derned good money in 1930. And that pipeline serves nat gas to La Grange and SBG, so ours are similar.

I was involved with the second pipeline that was installed in the late '70s and frankly if you don't grant any aboveground appurtenances and get good damages when they install the line, the simple fact that it's there has always been a non-issue for us. And yes, the cleared easement provides a nice road through the woods.

JMH said:

Funny you say that, we may be on same line. My Great-Great Grandfather was paid $12.50 TOTAL in the late '20's for a line that cuts through the side of my pasture on a 20 degree angle. It supplies Cuero with Nat Gas so its not going anywhere probably ever. The worst thing is its not all that deep in some places. Makes a nice sendera for hunting though. I did two more lines in 2010 and was able follow fence lines and a major power line. My only regret is not negotiating harder for max dollars. I did well enough but in hindsight think i may could have done better. Can't say it enough.... Pipelines are forever!