Pay for surveying on property?

Hi there, we own a small amount of property (mineral rights and land) in Reeves County and have been approached related to a company wanting to construct a road and put in utility line and pipeline. The question is whether they were supposed to pay us for any surveying work they did on the property so far. They tell us they have surveyed but no encroachments. We are negotiating on rod prices with them. Thanks much. C.

My guess is no one wants to pay you for the survey…but I always ask for a copy as often I have not had surveys or current surveys…so I always tell them it is ok, but I need boundary line survey in exchange for access. If you ever want to sell that could save you or your buyer thousands.

Hello. Yep good info posted already. Highly recommend you utilize knowledgeable attorney just went thru this.

Thanks very much - I appreciate it. Sounds like you all are also saying that the posted rate on the state site isn’t necessarily what we should settle for either in terms of the rod price? Is that accurate?

Best practice is to use search on here and search all topics you are unfamiliar ie. Rod price (which can be much higher than what is initially offered) easements, utility lines etc. Do a general search not just in Reeves county. Great info on here. Also research what you don’t understand on google. And get a good oil and gas attorney. These sorts of situations can get beyond ya quickly. I have gone thru them with and without help. Learned to get advice so all my interests are protected. Take your time and good luck.

And. You can search attorney on here and get some Reccs and learn quite a bit. This forum has a directory you can access also.

Greetings: One way to think, it is your land, you pay the taxes no matter, so you get to decide what to do within Statues, existing agreements. Personally, I have derived a form for survey and have a set fee to issue such. After all they want to enter your private property. You want to know what they are up to and why. All important information in future negotiations with the interested party.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.