Paschal Energy

I have been speaking with Paschal Energy about leasing our Mineral rights.

I received a lease yesterday from the same man but a different company.

That company being Westphal Energy,LLC out of Salt Lake City.

I think I'm beginning to see smoke as in Smoke and Mirrors. Any one got an idea as to what might be going on here?

I received a call from “Paschal Energy” also. The lease they sent says the lessor is “Westphal Energy, LLC”. I have not signed yet. I have not had time to research Westphal Energy. Have you found out anything else?

Only thing I can find is and add for a land man. The man I’ve been speaking with claims it is only a name change. I’m not so sure I believe it for it is a significant change in address.

Don,

Are you a descendant of Con and Lillian Hogan in Cheyenne County, Colorado?

Yes, Con was My dad Earl's oldest brother.

Con was the funniest man to walk the earth.

The way the question was asked, you must be Joe Oswald's daughter, which makes us almost related.

Carolyn Rohde said:

Don,

I am Joe Oswald’s daughter and yes, that makes us almost related!! My e-mail address is: carolynrohde@gmail.com if you want to send me an e-mail.

Don Hogan said:

Yes, Con was My dad Earl's oldest brother.

Con was the funniest man to walk the earth.

The way the question was asked, you must be Joe Oswald's daughter, which makes us almost related.

Carolyn Rohde said:

Don,

I was contacted by a man who says he works for Chesapeake “kind of as a contractor” handling their leases, yet his mailing address is Pachal Energy in Douglas, WY. The “sample lease” he sent for me to look over says “Rocky Mountain” on it. I’m worried there is some finagling going on too.

Shelly, I'm not sure what your concerns are, yet what you posted appears normal to me. Oil companies typically hire individuals or other leasing companies to contact mineral owners and secure their leases. So Chesapeake having that man, or hiring "Paschal Energy" out of Douglas, WY, to lease your minerals is normal business practice. As to the sample lease sent, the standard lease many companies offer is one of the countless variations of a "Producers 88" lease form. One of those variations is a "Rocky Mt" version. I'm guessing that is what you received. It is not a bad form but it needs to be modified with an Addendum to protect your interests.

If you own a fair amount of net mineral acres, or you're new to the process of oil & gas leasing, you should hire an attorney to represent you during this process. If you're comfortable doing it on your own then read it all very carefully and focus on the basics; A three year lease without any extension, a fair bonus rate, a 3/16th royalty, include Pugh clauses, limit their shut-in clause, don't warrant title, and most importantly don't deliver a signed lease to them until you have actual payment in hand (not just a "Draft" or "Order of Payment"). Good luck, I hope you get a great deal.

Shelley O said:

I was contacted by a man who says he works for Chesapeake "kind of as a contractor" handling their leases, yet his mailing address is Pachal Energy in Douglas, WY. The "sample lease" he sent for me to look over says "Rocky Mountain" on it. I'm worried there is some finagling going on too.

Thank you so much for your reply. I had no idea that leases could be handled by another company. We have been getting contacted by all sorts of people who turn out to be speculators, and have been offering us AWFUL bonuses and royalties, so that is whyI am so suspicious.

Eastern MT said:

Shelly, I'm not sure what your concerns are, yet what you posted appears normal to me. Oil companies typically hire individuals or other leasing companies to contact mineral owners and secure their leases. So Chesapeake having that man, or hiring "Paschal Energy" out of Douglas, WY, to lease your minerals is normal business practice. As to the sample lease sent, the standard lease many companies offer is one of the countless variations of a "Producers 88" lease form. One of those variations is a "Rocky Mt" version. I'm guessing that is what you received. It is not a bad form but it needs to be modified with an Addendum to protect your interests.

If you own a fair amount of net mineral acres, or you're new to the process of oil & gas leasing, you should hire an attorney to represent you during this process. If you're comfortable doing it on your own then read it all very carefully and focus on the basics; A three year lease without any extension, a fair bonus rate, a 3/16th royalty, include Pugh clauses, limit their shut-in clause, don't warrant title, and most importantly don't deliver a signed lease to them until you have actual payment in hand (not just a "Draft" or "Order of Payment"). Good luck, I hope you get a great deal.

Shelley O said:

I was contacted by a man who says he works for Chesapeake "kind of as a contractor" handling their leases, yet his mailing address is Pachal Energy in Douglas, WY. The "sample lease" he sent for me to look over says "Rocky Mountain" on it. I'm worried there is some finagling going on too.