Ownership Questions

Upon the death of my mother, I received mineral rights in McKenzie, County, ND.

Township 153 North, Range 95 West, Section 4 and 5

Township 153 North Range 96 West, Section 12 and 13

Township 154 North, Range 95 West, Section 32, 33, 34 and 35

How do I find out who is leasing this land? I need to know if I am in contact with all the oil companies necessary. I have never received any contact from a land man. Who leased these mineral rights and how long to the leases last. Do I have to do something to make sure my royalties are preserved.

So new to this, sorry to be so uninformed.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

I would suggest going right to the court house for this information.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the courthouse is 600 miles away.

dean e woodsend said:

I would suggest going right to the court house for this information.

I have never worked North Dakota, so I'm unfamiliar with their laws. Hopefully someone with experience in that State will chime in. At the very least you need to file an Affidavit with the above property list attached stating who you are an heir of and your current address so people can find you. If you know your mothers Estate was probated and filed in that County, and specifically against the above descriptions, you may not need to do anything.

Everything was propery probated and I was getting checks for a while. Then some of them stopped, but not others. Apparently Denbury was bought out by XTO and XTO is not paying. It's all a bit over whelming when I get the check stubs and such. I like to know if my wells are producing, if so, at what rate. I am uncertain how to navigate the North Dakota sight to get information.

Yesterday I received a notice from Tesoro that I own some rights in the Yutterdahl? division of the Bakken formation and I had to get them a bunch of information to keep the rights from landing in the unclaimed property division of North Dakota. How do I know I have it all?

I'm so confused.

If you need help understanding what they are saying they need with the letter you can send me a private message or email me the letter and I will look it over. A lot of times these things can be cleared up with just a little bit of communication.

I have never searched for current production in North Dakota but I will ask some guys I work with. I'm pretty sure some of them have interest in North Dakota and will know how.

The fact that Tesoro is sending you anything at all means they have some information on you, which is a good thing.

Janie,

According to www.drm.nd.gov/oilgas/findwellsvw.asp, here is the information I could find for you:

T153N-R95W-Sec. 4: API 33-053-03453 11/17/2011 USA 153-95-4B-9-1H, Operator: Petro-Hunt, LLC

T163N-R95W-Sec. 4: API 33-053-05263 Lot 4-153-95, Operator: Petro-Hunt, LLC

T153N-R95W-Sec. 5: API 33-053-01849 NESW 5-153-95, CMNU C-205, Operator: Petro-Hunt, LLC

T153N-R96W-Sec. 12: API 33-053-03109 SWSE 12-153-96, Charlson 34-12H, Op: XTO Energy Inc.

T153N-R96W-Sec. 13: All wells dry, P&A, or abandoned injection well

T154N-R95W-Sec. 32: API 33-053-02867 SESE 32-154-95, Charlson 44-32H, Op: XTO Energy Inc.

T154N-R95W-Sec. 33: API 33-053-02876 SESE 33-154-95, Charlson 44-33H, Op: XTO Energy Inc.

T154N-R95W-Sec. 34: All wells P&A, permit cancelled, or not producing more than 12 months

T154N-R95W-Sec. 35: Three active wells, operated by Petro-Hunt, LLC or XTO Energy Inc.

What this research reveals is that you likely can contact Petro-Hunt, LLC and XTO Energy Inc. to ask if they are interested in leasing your interest, if you know for sure that your mother did not grant a lease or leases at any time before she passed away. I did see many wells in some of the sections that are still producing, dated as old as 1975. But those wells are operated by either XTO or Petro-Hunt, so they should be able to tell you if they already have a lease covering your mother's interest (and you can follow-up at that point to find out what they need to receive to begin paying you).

Final note: You will need to be prepared to give them the quarter section calls for the tracts you own in, unless you really do own mineral rights in the entire 8 sections you list above, which would be approximately 5,120 acres of land.

Jamie,

If you were interested in selling we could help you get the full picture so you could make a better educated decision.

You can find our ad in the Buyer and Investor portion of the Marketplace on this website.

Thanks,

Hunter

303-667-1065

Overland Minerals & Royalties

I have found papers covering several other plots in my mother's papers. At this point I have hired and attorney. I am obviously in way over my head. Thank you for your interest and information.

Janie Newborg

Hunter Burdick said:

Jamie,

If you were interested in selling we could help you get the full picture so you could make a better educated decision.

You can find our ad in the Buyer and Investor portion of the Marketplace on this website.

Thanks,

Hunter

303-667-1065

Overland Minerals & Royalties

Thank you so much for your effort. In further reviewing my mother's papers I found information on purchases of several other plots. I'm obviously in wayyyy over my head and have hired an attorney. Your input was very much appreciated.

Janie Newborg

Scott Pipkin said:

If you need help understanding what they are saying they need with the letter you can send me a private message or email me the letter and I will look it over. A lot of times these things can be cleared up with just a little bit of communication.

I have never searched for current production in North Dakota but I will ask some guys I work with. I'm pretty sure some of them have interest in North Dakota and will know how.

The fact that Tesoro is sending you anything at all means they have some information on you, which is a good thing.

Jamie,

I would suggest a website called NDRIN, there you can research what companies took leases from your Mother. If you contact those companies they might be able to tell you what you own at no cost to you.