Ownership of mineral rights several deed filings

we were contacted about some mineral rights that my grandfather purchased years ago. The company wanted to purchase the mineral rights and paid out money to some of my cousins. I kept mine. That company later came back and said that they believe the purchase was not valid. They said another deed was also filed the same day. does anyone know if deed filings are time stamped. I need to know if the mineral rights were actually my grandfathers or someone else’s?

Welcome to the forum! What state were the minerals located in? I know in Oklahoma the county clerk does put the date and time filed. As for the order of filing this is also a state specific question that can get pretty complicated based on the facts. I would recommend finding an attorney in the state the minerals are located to answer whether your grandfather owned the minerals.

Texas. west texas.

I do not understand why they would payout (to my cousins) if they thought the ownership was not legit.

Texas does stamp the date and time on all filed documents.

I think my mother owns more in the West Texas area but I need help locating. Do you recommend a landman that can search for the records? I have some information for a person to get started. My mom is elderly and we are trying to get everything in order. Everything is divided equally to the siblings in the will. Do we need to go ahead and transfer the mineral right deeds or wait till after her death?

Are the companies that have money held in suspense required to pay out interest for that money they have been holding when it is paid out?

You will find County Recorders (Clerks) maintain a reception record which will enter the order of receipt of a document. Many older documents will have a date but no time associated with the filing. You will be able to refer to the receipt number to help you in such cases. You may want to hire a landman to help you locate other tracts of land. You can also try TexasFile.com for some of these searches. It is not an absolute solution, but it may help to get you started. Good luck.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.