Out of State Inherited mineral rights

I inherited Mineral Deed to W2 Section 70, Block 20, Lavaca Navigation Survey Co.Borden County, Texas. Is that worth anything? How many NMA is in a section. I’m a displaced Texan living North of the Red River and this is one of my little pieces of Texas legacy. Im not inclined to sell this just curious.

Hello! I’d estimate you could get around $2000/NMA in that neck of the woods but ask me again in a month since things are a bit uncertain right now with oil prices. There’s a horizontal (aka “high dollar”) play about two miles from your acreage that hasn’t made it to your land, but has been developing that way. If you ever start getting loads of lease or purchase offers, that’s likely what has happened.

One standard section has 640 acres, so half a section has 320. This is “gross” acres though. Mineral are generally deeded as “undivided acreage” that you have a certain percent of. Somewhat like inheriting stock in company (you own a little bit of everything) rather than inheriting a house in a subdivision (where it’s “divided” and you own all of that described bit).

Now, I have seen people inherit 100% of the minerals in West Texas, but usually that scenario would be your dad/grandpa owned a ranch and you’re the sole person who inherited all of it. More likely is there’s been some splitting of it going on (“each of my 4 kids get 25% of my 50%…”) over the years and your net acreage is something less than 320.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.