Oncor Electric PUC easement


Just received public notice of Oncor’s plans to build a new transmission line in Reeves. The routing is TBD, but may hit property I have interest in. I haven’t yet waded through the documents sent, but wondering:

  1. Are there specific actions one should take and things to do/watch out for as this proceeds?
  2. Anyone have experience with this type of proceeding and an idea of what easement purchases look like and pay, assuming Oncor’s route goes through our land?

Thanks for any thoughts and insights.

Hi Jake -

If they sent you a Notice, then your land(s) appear to be within their proposed Right of Way (ROW).

But that would probably be a very wide, initially proposed ROW. The final, actual route of their ROW will more than likely be influenced by what landowners are cooperative and which have to be taken to court.

They may have to post or provide a map of their proposed ROW, so that's one thing you can look for or request. Other than that, they will eventually file all of the Easements of Record at the County Clerk's Office. You could watch for those.

www.texasfile.com has the Reeves County Clerk's Records back to 1912. You can search "Oncor" and find any number of examples of Rights of Way and Easements.

As far as what you can expect as far money, see Page 10 of the attached. It may give you a place to start.

1 Rod = 1.5 Feet


Hope this helps -

Charles Emery Tooke III

Certified Professional Landman

Fort Worth, Texas

217-Rate_Damage_Schedule.pdf (181 KB)

Hi Jake,

I also received a package from Oncor and I am in the same boat you are in, lack of knowledge. But, one thing I did read is if you don't agree then you have to appeal and that is to take place in Austin Sept 5, 2017.

I am curious as to how much they are offering to pay for the easement, as they call it. I also wonder if this is forever or just for a period of time.

Also, if you don't agree, then they will petition your land with Eminate Domain, sorry for the bad spelling. Sounds like you take their offer or they will just go to court and take you land anyway. If anyone has any information on a situation like this, then please help us out.

I really an in the dark on this one.



Hello Charles Emery Tooke lll,

just saw your response and found it very interesting. In the document it uses a different language for the wattage that Oncor has in the package that I got. Don't know anything about all this, but another learning experience in the oil patch. lol

I surely do appreciate all you do to try and help everyone out on the forum.



Your comments are very kind, Louise, and you are quite welcome. But I am just one of many, many people here on The Forum who respond to questions for Landowners like yourself. And most of them have much greater knowledge and experience to offer.

How is the language in their proposed agreement worded? Can you scan the document(s) in and upload them so we can see them?

Oncor has refused to pay University Lands rates for the large footprint for the big transmission lines and makes a lot of demands to severely limit the landowner's future use of the tract. None of the landowners that I know believe that they were paid fair market value for the lines in Ward, Reeves and Culberson Counties several years ago. They got less than payments from other companies for small electric lines on narrower easements. Do not expect to be treated kindly by Oncor or its attorneys.

Charles, I called Oncor today and it seems like it could take quite awhile before they will be doing any work. Even though I got the package, my land is not really being considered at this time. Said it all has to be approved by state. They may reroute and then my land could be considered at a later date. Looking at a year from now. He didn't have knowledge of payment as that is another department. It is kvolt as I understand it, don't have the package handy. The person I spoke to was very nice and helpful to me. Said, for my land it would be 70 feet wide and across the land which is one mile. Don't know how that would average out to rods or whatever method they use. I also Googled Oncor and they have had some suits filed against them, so beware, if they want your land.....That's about all I know at this time.

Thanks for your response, very helpful


A rod is 16 feet and is the measure used by survey crews to determine rights of way. You will be paid

for a right of way based on how many rods your right of way covers.

Electric high tension transmission lines are rated in Kilowatts or Kilovolt (1000 volts) Amperes (current).

Voltage times current equals watts. It isn't watts until it has performed work, so it is called KVA...kilovolt

amperes.....or KVA. Typical transmission lines are in the 77 KVA to 777 KVA range.

My property in Reeves county is south of Pecos on Hwy 17.....so far no new transmission lines

near me, but understand there will be some new substations built in the area and maybe a

solar farm somewhere near IH-10.

Surface owners should be watching for that.

TennisDaze, thanks for this info. That is probably why my land is not included in their survey area as I am State Classified land. That sounds like a good thing for me.

Again, I thank you for the info.


Someone asked about payments for an easement for high tension electric transmission lines. They pay

you ONE TIME for a 70 foot wide easement through your property depending on how many rods length

they have to use. You get a ONE time payment and the rest of forever you get nothing....but it gives

them the right to enter your property to replace power poles, wire, or transformers.

Hope that clarifies the subject of electrical easements.

near Verhalen