Old Lease Pittsburg OK

Hello. I inherited my parent’s mineral rights and occasionally get a check for about $30 to $40 after massive deductions by the oil company. The last lease on record that my parents signed was from 1981 that says they get 3/16 royalty. The oil companies that issue me have changed a few times through the years. I don’t understand how that can change but a new lease is never agreed to or I’m never contacted. Is a mineral rights lease just open ended and never has to be re-worked? I see they obviously worked it to their advantage and completely ripped my parents off and I’m just at a loss of how it all works. I tried calling the oil company probably 15 years ago and the lady on the phone laughed at me when I questioned things. I just don’t understand how a lease signed by my parents in 1981 is still an active lease after different oil companies have taken it over. When I look at the lease it says it remains in force five (5) years from date (herein called primary term) and as long thereafter as oil or gas or either of them from said land by lease - > totally confused!!! How is a new lease never created or re-worked?? I feel like oil companies took complete advantage of my parents and their lack of understanding any of what they were agreeing to.

Here is a little info off of paper work and lease I’m finding.

Townsite Addition #22, Pittsburg County, OK, Section 24-3N-13E: Lots #25 = 10.01 ac, Lot #26 = 10.00 ac. Also a tract in Lots 23 & 24 which I guess is 3.5 ac.

From what I’m seeing Tract A: All of lots 25 and 26 and part of 23 and 24 in Townsite addition No.22 Pittsburg County, OK.

Tract B: SW 1/4 SE 1/4 of section 18, Township 3 North Range 14 East of the Indian Base and Meridan, Pittsburg County, OK

This might be completely confusing because I’m confused myself and trying to make sense of it all. It’s so frustrating and I feel like oil companies are so powerful with big time attorneys and people don’t stand a chance questioning anything.

Thanks for you time. Sherry

If production is achieved during the initial primary term, then the term of the lease is automatically extended and continues as long as oil or gas is being produced. Most lease have clauses that allow the lessee to assign the lease to a new company. You can check your lease and see if it has an assignment clause. The lease remains in place so long as there is production and cannot be “reworked”. That the lessee decides to assign the lease does not create a right to a new lease. There are leases in Texas that have been producing for decades and those leases all remain in force. From what you have said, the oil companies are not taking advantage of you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.