Old Gas Wells-are they ever re-worked?

Hope I don't sound too dumb here...my Aunt and I own a farm near Douglas which has had a well on it I guess since the 60's. It is producing - but not much. Are wells ever re-worked or re-drilled (I don't know the terminology for this...) Seems with all the activity going on in the general area they could get more from this well..... not sure how to go about getting something done about this...Does anyone have any advice?

When you get a check, it should show what the well is making each month, both oil and gas.You can also go to the Okla Corp Comm web site and look up the production records.occeweb.com is the sight.You will need your legal description of the wellsite which is on your monthly statement.If production is just a trickle, you can call the company and demand that they release the lease, or go to court with you.Yes, there is lots of drilling going on around Douglas, and if your well is showing to be held by production, no one will be interested in leasing it.The going rate in that area seems to be $500-$600 an acre for a lease.We had to lean on a company that had an old lease that was barely making anything this past summer, and they released it quickly, since that was cheaper than lawyer fees.I can send you a release form if you want one.Bob Hunter

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your answer. Not sure what is classified as a 'trickle'....for example our production on 9/02/13 was 4,346 units and on 10/02 was 4,284 units. Is this too much to pursue a release? It's not like it is not paying us anything...( we each average approx $175 a month). I just think there could be so much more done on this land. (and the going lease rate you mention sounds like there is a definite possibility that there is more potential.) I have looked in the OCC website and it doesn't show any production at all.....maybe because the well is so old - not sure.

Yes, if you could send me a release form - we would really appreciate it. Thanks again, Karen

Karen Eisenhart said:

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your answer. Not sure what is classified as a 'trickle'....for example our production on 9/02/13 was 4,346 units and on 10/02 was 4,284 units. Is this too much to pursue a release? It's not like it is not paying us anything...( we each average approx $175 a month). I just think there could be so much more done on this land. (and the going lease rate you mention sounds like there is a definite possibility that there is more potential.) I have looked in the OCC website and it doesn't show any production at all.....maybe because the well is so old - not sure.

Yes, if you could send me a release form - we would really appreciate it. Thanks again, Karen

Karen Eisenhart said:

Hi Bob,

Bob Hunter said:

When you get a check, it should show what the well is making each month, both oil and gas.You can also go to the Okla Corp Comm web site and look up the production records.occeweb.com is the sight.You will need your legal description of the wellsite which is on your monthly statement.If production is just a trickle, you can call the company and demand that they release the lease, or go to court with you.Yes, there is lots of drilling going on around Douglas, and if your well is showing to be held by production, no one will be interested in leasing it.The going rate in that area seems to be $500-$600 an acre for a lease.We had to lean on a company that had an old lease that was barely making anything this past summer, and they released it quickly, since that was cheaper than lawyer fees.I can send you a release form if you want one.Bob Hunter

M.D. Rodenberg said:

Bob I sent you a friend request, I am working on getting a company to release their lease. Could you possibly send me a copy of your release? I cannot seem to find a good one and I don't even want them to prepare one. Thanks, if it is not too much trouble. Mark

Bob Hunter said: