Oil Royalty Newbie

Hi there! I am new here and just starting to learn about mineral rights. My mom inherited her aunts mineral rights who has passed. My mom is 74 and has been the beneficiary of these mineral rights for over 20 years. It was just until 2 years ago that she was sent her first check from oil being produced on one of the sites. It was a shock and she has been receiving money from this monthly. In the last 3 months the amount has significantly changed to far less than what she had been receiving. How do we understand why, who do we contact, how do I know my mom isn’t getting taken advantage of etc? She calls the phone number on the check to ask questions, get tax info etc and no one answers. Do we need a lawyer? Landman? HELP! These MR are in Howard Co. TX. Thank you so much for any guidance. I am glad I found this place.

Welcome to the forum. The main reason that checks get smaller is the wells deplete over time. The newer Horizontal type wells start out like gang busters and drop off within 6 months to a year then continue to degrade in production for the years to come. Usually within 5 years they seem to settle in at a much lower rate than they were for about 5 more years. Think in terms of an upside down hockey stick. :slight_smile: Also prices were up then down and now starting to go back up so that will effect the income as well. MK

3 Likes

Welcome AuntieVoil! You’ll find people are helpful around here.

I hope you don’t mind me putting some helpful resources down below:

https://www.naro-us.org/ is an advocate for royalty owners and hold educational events. I’m personally a member and I’m not being paid to say any of this.

https://mineralrightspodcast.com/ have great information for beginners too.

2 Likes

I am new to this also. My grandfather bought several mineral rights properties in West Virginia back in the 1940’s and after his death he willed a plot to each surviving heir. My plot just sits there. In the 5 years that I have had it, I have received one check for $10.00. What should I do with this plot??? I it worth keeping? Do I need a lawyer to evaluate if it’s worth keeping? I need some advice. If anyone responds to this post I can get my paperwork out and give the exact details with county and other info if needed. I trust this site and appreciate any advice I can get. I live in the Central part of California about an hour north of Fresno. Thank you!

West Virginia is a big place. Location is very important.

Thank you!! This is good info. I appreciate the feedback. So does that mean this particular spot is done and won’t produce or be used again?

Thank you so much! I appreciate these resources!

Not really, If you could give a more specific area of Howard county, someone here can at least look at it and see what is happening. We would need Block#, Section#, and Township# in Howard county TX at minimum. Maybe an API# for a well would at least put somene in the right direction. MK

Ok, should I create a new post or add it to this one? Sorry-I’m “new here” :grin:

Just add to this one is fine. Howard county is a large county so we need more info as I stated. MK

Sorry this is confusing and some of the sections might be repetitive. There are several acres attached to each Can anyone help me understand if there are new pumps/activity to these areas: Block 32 Township 3N Section: N/2 41 Block 32 Township 3N Section:NE/4 NW/4 41 Block 32 Township 3N Section: W/2 41
Block 32 Township 3N Section: 41 E/2 NW/4 Block 32 Township 3N Section: 41 SW/4 NE/4 Block 32 Township 3N Section: W/2 NW/4 N/2 & SE/4 NW/4 N/2 & SW/4 NE/4 N/2 41

1 Like

@AuntieVoil ,That helps a lot. Here is Howard county Blk 32 T3N Sec 41. There is activity that is old and some that are new and not yet producing? I am sure others will chime in with more details for you. The abstract number is A-295. MK

Thank you, What site is this on?

Texas GIS viewer. Use the Magnifying glass drop down, choose surveys and put in info. MK Link To GIS

There are some new wells just approved this month in that area just not sure which ones will effect you. MK

2 Likes

hi, i was willed plot as well in Howard County,sit on it!!! I sat on mine along with 5 other siblings since 2012…with no takers the land did nothing…weve had very small leases, like 2500.00 over the span of 8 years, but in 2019 High Peak leased with us,it took them 2.5 yrs to finally drill,we have royalties now since 2022…if you are getting unsolicited offers check them out but dont sell…they will always bait you in with a high offer then haggle you down…If you NEED to sell so be it,.I even had a generational family of oil people and in their letter they said it would be a good idea to let them buy the plot because thier family knows how to manage this type of land business…lolol,we have laughed over that offer for years!!, needless to say thats pretty bad…if you know who bought the plots originaly thats where you start in the public records, to see if the plots were divided and how they were supposed to be divided and who actualy has them… i asked about back tracking ownership and this is what i was told also and u can read in my account my posting I think, you dont need an attorney unless you find out something is yours and somebody else has it but you have to prove it…anyways i hope my tidbit helps…

this is just my experience not advice!