Oil royalties in suspense

My boyfriend knows a lot about the wells and how it works however due to illness he is unable to tell me or help me make sure I do what I need to (if anything) for him to not lose his mineral rights. To my understanding after receiving a letter- hand delivered regarding past taxes stating someone bought - I now know he owes takes . pretty sure he didn’t know he had to pay them. He is in Early 30s and parents and grandparents passed away.

So long story short 1. Is there a national data base I can search for possible wells he may have? I found one in his mom name still and I believe it was title the heirs of…does this mean I need a membership to ancestry also? Most older people have wills to make sure their children know what is what and where everything is … however his parents and parents been gone for apx 10+yrs. With that being said … His mom had lease on some /one(??) Well that we signed hair affidavit for and received $300 for 10+yrs . The lady on phone at diversified said it was for 2019-foward. His mom died 2009 so what would have happened to money from 2009-2019? One person told me he probably lost it after 10 years the state keeps it. Is this true?

Please help point me in direction to help him.

Welcome to the forum and condolences on your situation.

No national database exists. The information you seek is by state for production and by county for legal records.

Search the unclaimed funds in the state where his mom lived and also Delaware. Most states hold the funds until they are claimed. Do not use a company that claims to “help” you. Use the official sites for the state treasurer’s offices. Search for “Unclaimed Funds Oklahoma” or whatever the state is.

For example, the OK site is: Unclaimed Property

Texas is : https://www.claimittexas.gov/

If he is in Texas, then he does have to pay production taxes. The loation of the minerals is on the tax statement. Oklahoma takes them out before the royalties are given out.

Start with Diversified and their Division Order department and ask for a copy of the paragraph which describes his ownership. It should list a location and how many net acres he has. Keep notes on any conversation. Keep any correspondence. Keep copies of any payments and their statements for at least seven years for IRS purposes.

If he is in Texas, you can search on www.Texasfile.com. It is free to search if you go county by county, so start with the one you know about. And see if her name or his name shows up. In OK, the best place to start is www.okcountyrecords.com. Again, free to search.

If you are in another state, mention it and someone may be able to help you.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.