Oil Rights In Larimer County, CO

I have mineral rights in Larimer County, CO that were left to my father by his grandmother ( her family homesteaded the land). My father passed away several years ago and I did locate some mineral rights in Weld Co but cannot find the ones in Larimer. Where do I start?

The place to start is at the County Clerk’s office. You need to begin the research by looking for deeds naming your great grandparents. This may not be an easy task, you may want to enlist the help of a local Landman that has experience in researching mineral title. There will be some more than likely who advertise their services online in your area.

I buy mineral rights all over Colorado like Weld and surrounding counties and have found that a lot of people have lost their mineral rights in Colorado because the annual taxes were not paid. Each year owners of severed mineral rights have taxes due to the county and if not paid you lose your mineral rights. Sometimes if they are small enough the county doesn’t want to mess with them and won’t require taxes to be paid. There is a good chance if you don’t know where your relatives minerals are then the taxes were not paid and they no longer belong to your family. You can call the county, they don’t keep perfect records but many times can tell you where the tracts were. Weld county assessors owner listings are online.

I know that the family still has them. I was unaware that they existed until I got a letter from Cheasapeake (this was for the Weld County mineral rights) wanting to lease them. One of the family members ( I do not know any of them) was trying to lease out the Larimer's also. I have asked where they are but I have not received an answer so decided to try to find them on my own. So, would I go online for Larimer or do I have to find a Landman?

Tim Metz said:

I buy mineral rights all over Colorado like Weld and surrounding counties and have found that a lot of people have lost their mineral rights in Colorado because the annual taxes were not paid. Each year owners of severed mineral rights have taxes due to the county and if not paid you lose your mineral rights. Sometimes if they are small enough the county doesn't want to mess with them and won't require taxes to be paid. There is a good chance if you don't know where your relatives minerals are then the taxes were not paid and they no longer belong to your family. You can call the county, they don't keep perfect records but many times can tell you where the tracts were. Weld county assessors owner listings are online.

Your lucky then that they were not sold for unpaid taxes. Larimer County does have an online search and you could call the county treasure.

A Landman will cost you probably around $200 to $500 per day plus expenses.