OIL MINERAL RIGHTS LEASE With Producing Wells

i AM SO GLAD TO FIND YOU PEOPLE BECAUSE I NDON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO . ui LEASED OIL RIGHTS TO A CO IN 1985 FOR$ 2000. i RECEIVED 5-6 HUNDRED A MONTH UNTIL 2002

tHEN I HEARD NOTHINJG . NOW THIS MAN CALLS AND SAID HIS DAD LEFT HIM THE LEASE AND HE HAS BEEN DRILLING SINCE 2007. HE SAYS HE HAS 5,800 BACK PAY AND WANTS A NEW LEASE DO I HAVE TO LEASE TO HIM AGAIN OR CAN I STILL GET MY NBACK PAY AND NOIW START A NEW LEASE WITH HIM WITH UPO FRONT MONEY AGAIN. OR CAN I LEASE TO SOME ONE ELSE. THE AMOUNT IS FOR 1/6 OF THE PROFITS BUT SHOULD I BE REMUNERATED FOR THE LEASE ALSO AND HOW MUCH FOR HOW LONG

BYE THE WAY PLEASE FORGIVE MY BAD TYPING AND SPELLING

I would say that you are being miss lead and are being lied to! There are most likely a lot of new production and interest in your area. You are not giving out much interest to get a fair comment and evaluation of your mineral interest. 99% of the time a landman is trying to lease you for a lot less than it’s worth.

This well number 1-20 located in the Pyramid Field, Martin lease Kings County, Caiifornia API Number 03120302, located in Section 20, Township 24 South, Range 18 East,MDB&M I hope this helps explain my plight

Patricia,

1. You tell him to give you your back pay first or you are going to get a lawyer! If there is production in the immediate area I would not consider anything less the 1/4 royalty (a true free royalty).

2. It might be worth the money to have this whole deal investigated and the operator too. I live in Texas and don't know anything about the laws in Colorado. I would say you have had a big one pulled on you!

patricia martin said:

This well number 1-20 located in the Pyramid Field, Martin lease Kings County, Caiifornia API Number 03120302, located in Section 20, Township 24 South, Range 18 East,MDB&M I hope this helps explain my plight

Hi, Patricia -

You need to consult an Oil and Gas Attorney familiar with California law.

It sounds like he thinks his Dad left him a valid lease, but if you did not recieve any Royalty payments between 2002 and now, the lease has more than likely not been producing all that time and, therefore expired under it's own terms.

If he has been producing the well since 2007, he may have been doing so illegally.

My legalize is poor, but there is a legal precedent that has been established in Texas whereby if you were to accept the royalties he says he has owed to you, that you may by accepting those funds in essence "Ratify" the old lease, thus reviving it [the case had to do with a group of shallow wells that were shut-in for a while in the late 1980's and early 1990's when the price of oil dropped to zip].

Like I said, you need to consult an Attorney. Don't forget to take him or her a copy of the lease and other papers and all your royalty checks or statements to review. And any letters or emails you have received from the son.

Hope this helps -

Charles