Oil Lease I didn't know about

I have found after searching the web for days that the land I have inherited mineral rights to has a lease. I was never contacted about this lease. I believe it must have been the landowner that signed the lease. It expires in 2014. Shouldn't I have something coming from this lease?

What County & State is the lease in?

• You may have interest in a receivership held by the state if the company could not find you to lease your minerals.
  • The company may also be waiting to lease small interest owners until they want to drill. They may have taken the lease that you found simply to keep someone else from leasing the acreage.
  • Or the company may have made an error in their title and you may be due some money if they are still interested in drilling.

Just to add to what Cliff said about many possibilities, if you really do own some minerals in the tract you may not own the executive right to lease and receive bonus (non participating).

Holy Cow! My head is spinning this is all quite complicated! This is in Daniels County Montana.

So anyone have a suggestion as to what my next move should be?

I love this site and all of you helpful folks!! Thanks so much!

Sharlie, I don't know where you found a Daniels County lease on the web. Montana counties don't have these documents online. Perhaps that site would allow you to print it off. If not, note the "Book & Page" numbers if given and if you're near Scobey go to the courthouse and get a copy of that lease to satisfy your curiosity about who signed it and for what terms.

I know from your prior posts that you inherited "a portion" of the minerals. So it's is most likely what you found is someone else leasing their portion of these minerals even though it may be for the same lands where your minerals are. In which case their lease does not affect you, nor would you be due any proceeds from their lease.

Eastern MT... this is where I found the information.

http://svcalt.mt.gov/tlmspublic/MMB/WebForm3.aspx

In entered the numbers and there it was!

The website you linked to is only for Minerals owned by the State of Montana. It has nothing to do with privately owned minerals. Generally speaking, the State will own the minerals under Sections 16 and 36 of every township, but there are exceptions.

Sharlie Moore said:

Eastern MT... this is where I found the information.

http://svcalt.mt.gov/tlmspublic/MMB/WebForm3.aspx

In entered the numbers and there it was!

So the State owns mineral rights on the same property that I do? How can that be? I know there is state owned land around this property, but when I put in the Township and Range for the property I have mineral rights on it shows leased along with all the other State property.

If this is only for land leased by the state then why does it show my piece of property?

If you put in the correct Section, Township and Range, and a State lease comes up, then yes the State owns minerals and has them leased. Trust me, if the State says they own them, then they own them. As to why that may be, when you believe you own rights under the same property, there are many, many possibilities, some of which have been explained to you already. I could add several other possibilities to the list, but its far too difficult to speculate on without more specific information.

Wow! I guess I have a busy road ahead in getting this all straightened out.

I do so appreciate you sharing your knowledge about this confusing issue.

If you want to supply more information (PM if you don't want to post), I might be able to point you in the right direction.

I would really appreciate that. How do I contact you?

Steve Durrett said:

If you want to supply more information (PM if you don't want to post), I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Am interested to know where you found info about the lease on the internet?

Thanks.

I since have been told that this is only for land owned by the State. So the plot thickens!!

Thanks. Our property is in KS so that was my interest. I found a good online site for leases where wells have been drilled, but not anything for leases where no action has been taken. My wife says the leases have to be registered in the county court house.

What is the site you found for leases where wells have been drilled on other than State land?

Remember this is for KS. Have you checked at your county court house where the property is deeded?

http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Magellan/Field/lease.html

I have..just waiting to see what they send me...thanks

You are right KS wouldn't do me any good.:)