Oil and Gas Attorney in Goshen County, WY

Hi,

We own minerals rights to some acres in Goshen county that's currently leased. We've been approached by someone who wishes to purchase the mineral rights outright. I've read through the forums and other online resources and it appears that our next step is to contact an oil and gas attorney in the area.

Can anyone recommend an oil and gas attorney in Goshen County, WY who can help us with the offers and valuation?

I do understand that one typically shouldn't sell the rights, but we would like to better undersand our options and the value of selling versus continued leasing.

Thank you,

Jason

Jason,

I happen to both own and manage inherited mineral rights in Goshen and Platte Counties. You may need an attorney later but first you need to make some personal economic decisions that only you can make and as with all decisions, the more you know, the better decisions you will make. You need someone who knows the business to help with your decision making, someone with knowledge of geology, engineering and economics.

I suggest you contact Ron Burkart, a local landowner in Goshen whose family has a situation similar to yours. He has been going through this process. Find out what he has done. And if you want to talk to an attorney who works in and understands the business very well, contact Neil Short, an independent lawyer in Casper. Or Christopher Hawks in Jackson Hole. He has some pretty big clients here in Colorado with considerable land in Wyoming and knows the land business quite well if not the oil business. Frank Erisman is an engineer and an attorney with Holme Roberts & Owen in Denver. He works all over the west as a minerals attorney.

In my experience, haste makes waste for the mineral owner in your situation.

Hi Gary,

Thank you for the contacts and helpful information. It's been difficult knowing where to start, so I appreciate the comments and names.

Regards,

Jason

Gary L. Hutchinson said:

Jason,

I happen to both own and manage inherited mineral rights in Goshen and Platte Counties. You may need an attorney later but first you need to make some personal economic decisions that only you can make and as with all decisions, the more you know, the better decisions you will make. You need someone who knows the business to help with your decision making, someone with knowledge of geology, engineering and economics.

I suggest you contact Ron Burkart, a local landowner in Goshen whose family has a situation similar to yours. He has been going through this process. Find out what he has done. And if you want to talk to an attorney who works in and understands the business very well, contact Neil Short, an independent lawyer in Casper. Or Christopher Hawks in Jackson Hole. He has some pretty big clients here in Colorado with considerable land in Wyoming and knows the land business quite well if not the oil business. Frank Erisman is an engineer and an attorney with Holme Roberts & Owen in Denver. He works all over the west as a minerals attorney.

In my experience, haste makes waste for the mineral owner in your situation. Be cool.

Gary L. Hutchinson

Minerals Management