OGM Rights Inherited

My sister and I inherited our father’s OGM rights in Ritchie County. My sister passed away 8 years ago. We have never officially registered ourselves as owners of the rights. The paperwork passed down through the family is very confusing especially the exact location of the rights. I do not live in WV. How do I go about registering the OGM in my name? Thank you very much, Cindy

You need WV legal assistance to make the ownership transfer. It becomes more difficult due to your sister`s passing. Therefore you probably want your sisters heirs to join the action and share the legal expense.

Thank you very much. Unfortunately my sister died unexpectedly under unusual circumstances and did not have a will. Her daughter’s can’t afford an attorney. I’m very grateful for your response.

There are a couple ways this might have to be done. If your sister’s estate is still open (unlikely due to passage of time) then the estate administrator or personal representative can sign a deed transferring the interests to you. If not, you may be able to file an exemplified copy of her will and some of her probate documents. That’s not always going to work because if the will and the probate documents don’t conform to West Virginia law then they won’t be acceptable here. The final method is to do an ancillary probate here in West Virginia. Good luck!