Offer to Purchase Mineral Royalty Interest

A few days ago, I received a letter from Tronador Minerals LLC informing me that my deceased father is a partial owner of the mineral and royalty interest in an 86-acre tract of land in Leon County, Texas in the C.M. Jones Survey A-448. They are interested in making an offer to purchase this interest. I live in California and have no idea what is going on regarding this land. Could someone give me some guidance regarding this. The royalty interest was reserved since 1963. My father did not have a will when he passed. He has a widow and has 4 adult daughters. How should I proceed? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2 Likes

Comstock Resources is the only active driller in Leon County, Texas is the highly productive Deep Bossier. They are represented by Surprise Valley. There are a lot of “flippers” in Leon County right now.

Thank you for that helpful information. I appreciate you taking the time to respond…

If there is pending activity then you would need to file under the intestate laws of the state where your father lived at his death. If it was not Texas, then you have to get some more legal help to file in the domicile state and then in Texas. You would need an attorney in that state to help you filed properly. You cannot sell or get any future royalties until the title is clear. There is a whole set of comments regarding the activity in LEON, so get caught up. Get familiar with the Texas Railroad commission website and you can look up your area to see if any leases or permits are filed in your area.

1 Like

In Texas each individual owner of the land or mineral rights, royalty can sell their separate interest. All of the family members do not have to agree. If there is a buyer, then ask them to tell you in writing (email) how many Net. mineral acres you own, basically what they are trying to buy from you. Your fathers estate will need to be settled in California at any rate. There is more to it and it is time consuming. Get them to send you a map or plat plus the legal description of what they propose. Landmen, attorney’s, companies all can make mistakes. Be careful.

My father died in Arizona. My family was just made aware that he owned some royalty interests in this area. I thank you so much for responding to my query.

Thank you for the information.

If you are not getting any royalty payments now you should find out what those monthly payments are and what activity there is in the area. You will very likely make more money by keeping the mineral interests and not selling.

Thank you for your reply.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.