Offer to buy our NPRI

Received a phone call from a gentleman offering to buy our non participating royalty interest in Dawson Co. Didn’t even realize we had inherited this from my mom (passed away in 2012). No idea at all where to go or where to even start. The offer was for 2500.00 each (one brother and one sister and myself). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Same thing happened to us a few years ago…as in …did not know we were heirs to some mineral interests until some companies began calling or writing to buy or lease it. You’ll be able to learn a lot just by reading many of the comments on this forum about Dawson County. The other people on here have been very friendly and helpful in my experience. Where in Dawson County are you located?

Suggest that you not do anything until you find out exactly what you own, capture any back royalties that might be due to you, find out if there is pending horizontal drilling in your area, clean up any probate issues, etc. You want to be fully informed before selling anything. If you do decide to sell after you know what you have and captured any funds due you, then you would want a more competitive bid situation than just one offer.

If you post your abstract number in the Dawson County area, there are some helpful folks that can tell you what activity is going on. Whomever called you knows more than you do and wants to make a profit. Keep that in mind.

1 Like

My family is in North Dakota, Brother and his family are in Florida and Sister and her family in Louisiana…

Thank you for the quick response! the buyer sent copies of court documents showing the plot of land involved…Don’t even know where to start as to who owns the mineral rights, if we are even owed royalty payments at all. I searched the TX RR Commission site map to find the location. I live in North Dakota, so driving to the courthouse for a records search would be quite a trip!

Great. You’re off to a good start. Sounds like you have already found the RRC Public GIS viewer. For location purposes, you will notice…once you zoom in on them a bit…that the blocks are not only called “Leagues”…once you zoom in a little more you should be able see your league also being labeled as an “Abstract” . Then as you really zoom in more…you will notice that within each league/abstract…there will be 25 smaller, equal sized blocks. These are known as “Labors”. For example, “League 274” is also called “A-414” (abstract 414). And “Labor 25” you will notice is always in the extreme SW corner of the larger league/abstract.

Thanks for the valuable information Robert…much appreciated

Phillip - do you have a copy of the court document that shows the legal description? I could help you figure out the true value of your property as I am very familiar with Dawson County.

Abstract A-97…Section 51 Block 35 T4N

I think you mean Section 17, Block 35 T4N? There is no Section 51 in that block.

Correct section 27…my mistake

Fat fingers here…section17 you are correct

Hello Phillip - It sounds like a total of $7500 for the family. That could be a good offer depending on the acres owned. My rule of thumb is to always ask for 50% more than they offer and try to meet somewhere in the middle. It’s worked well for me thus far.