I would not give anyone a 9 month option. It sounds like this man is wanting to tie up your land while he shops the deal with some oil company. You would not be able to lease your minerals if a better deal came along, and at the end of 9 months you could be left holding the bag with no lease and no money for having tied up your minerals all that time.
Unless the lease was negotiated in advance, you wouldn't likely have any say regarding the lease. There is also the danger that once the option agreement was recorded in the deed records, you might have to hire an attorney to file a lawsuit to remove the cloud from your title (if a release wasn't filed).
I would run as fast as I could from this deal. Now that you have an estimate of the going rate of the bonus payment for the minerals and the royalty perventage to work with, there should be other interested companies in the area that you can negotiate with on a lease, rather than an option. It should not take 9 months to run title.