OCC understanding of notices

First, please excuse my lack of understanding of most things oil and gas (yes, I inherited my mineral rights). I have gotten notices from the corporation commission concerning Sections 10 & 15 of 01S 04W Stephens Co, naming Continental Resources as applicant. Can you explain in simple layman terms what might be going on or what I can expect to happen next? Thanks in advance for your patience and help.

Asking questions is a great way to learn the business. What are the case numbers at the top or side of the notices? I can’t comment specifically without reading the cases, but in general, they are outlining the specific legal order that must be followed in order to drill a well. They must ask the commission to space the drainage area of a particular reservoir, then get permission to drill a well, then locate the well in the section(s), then a permit, then pooling if necessary. There will be evidence presented at the OK Corporation Commission, maybe protests which must be addressed and then the commissioner will rule on the decisions. I find it helpful to put each case in numeric order, then put the mailings in date order and read them. The jargon may be overwhelming at first but read them slowly and they will explain each item that they are trying to accomplish.

1 Like

It would be helpful if you indicated that type of relief sought before the corporation commission. It could be spacing, increased density, pooling, etc.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.