NPRI - Newbie question(s)

I am new to this forum. I was contacted out of the blue from a Texas Landman (I was born and raised in CA). I was informed that I inherited from my grandfather, who was dead before I was born, a fractional share of a 1/16th NPRI interest in 50 acres. I have been asked to sign a ratification agreement on two separate Units. A few cousins who live in Texas whom I never met and don't know have already signed. Their ratifications are recorded. I am looking for suggestions on what type of due diligence I need to perform and what pitfalls I need to avoid (if any) or even a generic synopsis on what I should expect if I sign or don't sign, or sign late. It is my understanding that all of the leases are in place but no drilling has started. My apologies for not knowing anything about mineral rights.

There have been several threads on this topic, and there is a lot of difference of opinion as to whether you have to ratify. Type in NPRI in the Search box in the upper right hand corner, and it will pull up pertinent results.

Find out of the NPRI that you own is for the land upon which the actual well is permitted to be drilled. If so, it could very well benefit you NOT to sign the Ratification Agreement. Definitely worth investigating.