North Dakota oil and gas leases

I was recently solicited for oil and gas leases in Stark County 40 acres Township 137 North Range 96 W and Hettinger County 155 acres Township 136 North Range 97. Both offers were identical terms $50.00/acre bonus with a 1/6 royalty Three year term with a two year option. Are these good offers?

Our land is not close to you, but I suspect you can do better. We’re in Williams Co. Our fist offer was for $300 per acre w/ 1/6 royalty. We’re now up to $550 and 3/16. Make sure you ask for 3/16, since that seems to be the going rate.

Your acreage is in southern Stark and there is not much going on there. You can wait to see if you get a better offer. The offers listed above are in Williams Co. and there is a lot going on up there. Don’t count on getting those kind of offers where you are located. If in the future they find oil near your property, then you might get those kind of offers.

We have deeds up in the northwestern part of Stark County. We have one year remaining on our lease and received an offer for a five year extension. I would like to know how many other companies are soliciting in this part.

Elizabeth, What is the best way to get questions answered about being a mineral owner in Williams County ND.? How do we know when, how often, etc. we should get paid. ? Jodi

Elizabeth S. Hogg said:
Our land is not close to you, but I suspect you can do better. We're in Williams Co. Our fist offer was for $300 per acre w/ 1/6 royalty. We're now up to $550 and 3/16. Make sure you ask for 3/16, since that seems to be the going rate.

Jodi, I just stumbled on this forum tonight. If I have the time, I am more than willing to share what I know with people. I obviously can’t give legal advice as I’m not an attorney, and I can’t disclose confidential information that I might be involved with. I know many landmen who are very honest and conscientious people, but I also am aware a few situations where I felt people did not get treated fairly. Most landmen will give you some advice, but I would call more than one and compare what you learn. There is a lot of information at: https://www.dmr.nd.gov/oilgas/. Do a well search and find some of the companies drilling and contact them. In the mean time, if you have a specific question, I’ll try and answer it. Landman

Thank you. We have a will that states we have 75% mineral rights to some land in ND, but when we call the oil company, they say that the land we think we have mineral rights to that many other people have mineral rights to the same land, so what we thought was supposed to be a 1/16 split is a much smaller fraction. How can we get true trusworthy information on our land? Jodi

Concerned Landman said:

Jodi,
I just stumbled on this forum tonight. If I have the time, I am more than willing to share what I know with people. I obviously can’t give legal advice as I’m not an attorney, and I can’t disclose confidential information that I might be involved with. I know many landmen who are very honest and conscientious people, but I also am aware a few situations where I felt people did not get treated fairly. Most landmen will give you some advice, but I would call more than one and compare what you learn. There is a lot of information at: https://www.dmr.nd.gov/oilgas/. Do a well search and find some of the companies drilling and contact them. In the mean time, if you have a specific question, I’ll try and answer it. Landman

Jodi,
You really need to go to the county court house and check all the legal documents pertaining to your land and/or mineral deeds. Once you find everything, make sure it’s up-to-date, get legal assistance and find a good lease company. We did that with some family mineral deeds that went back to the early 50’s and now everything is in order. I’ve learned alot about oil & gas leases through Mineral Rights Forum. Everybody here has been a great help.
Bob

Jodi Guentzel said:

Thank you. We have a will that states we have 75% mineral rights to some land in ND, but when we call the oil company, they say that the land we think we have mineral rights to that many other people have mineral rights to the same land, so what we thought was supposed to be a 1/16 split is a much smaller fraction. How can we get true trusworthy information on our land?
Jodi

Concerned Landman said:
Jodi,
I just stumbled on this forum tonight. If I have the time, I am more than willing to share what I know with people. I obviously can’t give legal advice as I’m not an attorney, and I can’t disclose confidential information that I might be involved with. I know many landmen who are very honest and conscientious people, but I also am aware a few situations where I felt people did not get treated fairly. Most landmen will give you some advice, but I would call more than one and compare what you learn. There is a lot of information at: https://www.dmr.nd.gov/oilgas/. Do a well search and find some of the companies drilling and contact them. In the mean time, if you have a specific question, I’ll try and answer it. Landman

Bob, When I looked up the court house information for Williams County, ND it stated that we needed to pay for information on our mineral rights at the court house. Do we need to go to the Williams county courthouse? Jodi

Jodi Guentzel said:

Thank you. We have a will that states we have 75% mineral rights to some land in ND, but when we call the oil company, they say that the land we think we have mineral rights to that many other people have mineral rights to the same land, so what we thought was supposed to be a 1/16 split is a much smaller fraction. How can we get true trusworthy information on our land?
Jodi

Concerned Landman said:
Jodi,

Jodi The courthouse workers will not do research for you. They will copy things for you if you know the book and page, but they will not research your title. If you don’t live near the area, you might have to hire a title company in the area to do research. It could be expensive if it takes a long time, but someone has to sit down at the courthouse and page through the books and try to follow the chain of title.

Maybe you can get the oil company to give you info on just exactly how much they say you own, for a start.

Ruth is correct. We had to go to the court house and verify the information that we had from old records. It does take time, but the results were well worth it. We have a lawyer located in Dickenson that works with us and our lease company. Their fees are very reasonable. Don’t go alone when working on the lease. Good luck, Bob

Ruth said:

Jodi
The courthouse workers will not do research for you. They will copy things for you if you know the book and page, but they will not research your title. If you don’t live near the area, you might have to hire a title company in the area to do research. It could be expensive if it takes a long time, but someone has to sit down at the courthouse and page through the books and try to follow the chain of title.

Maybe you can get the oil company to give you info on just exactly how much they say you own, for a start.

Bob, We would need to go to the courthouse in Williams County correct? We have some of our land already leased, but have not received any money. What information should we be asking the oil company for? Can they send us theri documentation? Jodi

Bob Noonan said:
Ruth is correct. We had to go to the court house and verify the information that we had from old records. It does take time, but the results were well worth it. We have a lawyer located in Dickenson that works with us and our lease company. Their fees are very reasonable. Don't go alone when working on the lease.
Good luck,
Bob

Ruth said:
Jodi
The courthouse workers will not do research for you. They will copy things for you if you know the book and page, but they will not research your title. If you don't live near the area, you might have to hire a title company in the area to do research. It could be expensive if it takes a long time, but someone has to sit down at the courthouse and page through the books and try to follow the chain of title.

Jodi,

If you would care to email me at sahlal@lycos.com, and give me a phone number, I'd be happy to call you and answer whatever questions that I can. Or, if you prefer, I'll give you my phone number and you can call me. Williams county is a big county, but there is a chance that I already have title information covering your land.

Jodi Guentzel said:

Bob,
We would need to go to the courthouse in Williams County correct?
We have some of our land already leased, but have not received any money.
What information should we be asking the oil company for? Can they send us theri documentation?
Jodi

Bob Noonan said:
Ruth is correct. We had to go to the court house and verify the information that we had from old records. It does take time, but the results were well worth it. We have a lawyer located in Dickenson that works with us and our lease company. Their fees are very reasonable. Don't go alone when working on the lease.
Good luck,
Bob

Ruth said:
Jodi
The courthouse workers will not do research for you. They will copy things for you if you know the book and page, but they will not research your title. If you don't live near the area, you might have to hire a title company in the area to do research. It could be expensive if it takes a long time, but someone has to sit down at the courthouse and page through the books and try to follow the chain of title.

Landman,

I'm just really confused. My deed references that Me and my sister own 320 acres in Township 152 Range 103 section 24, but my aunt's deed references the same property. my deed says 320 acres and the lease says 320 acres but my aunt says we only own 40 acres (Gross vs Net acreage). Can you shed any light on this. I would be willing to email a electronic copy of both the deed and the lease if required. my lease is coming up for renewal and I need to know what all of this means.

V/r

Daniel Whisenhunt

Concerned Landman said:

Jodi,
I just stumbled on this forum tonight. If I have the time, I am more than willing to share what I know with people. I obviously can't give legal advice as I'm not an attorney, and I can't disclose confidential information that I might be involved with. I know many landmen who are very honest and conscientious people, but I also am aware a few situations where I felt people did not get treated fairly. Most landmen will give you some advice, but I would call more than one and compare what you learn. There is a lot of information at: https://www.dmr.nd.gov/oilgas/. Do a well search and find some of the companies drilling and contact them. In the mean time, if you have a specific question, I'll try and answer it. Landman

The 320 acres are undivided interest which means that you don't own any particular acre. You and/or your aunt owner 40 net acres out of the 320 gross acres. So, if there is oil on any of the 320 acres you would get your pro rata share based on 40 acres. It appears that probably over time as title of the property moved the actual mineral acres owned had been reduced. If there are several members in your family then the net acre number could have been reduced. The landman should be able to tell you how the net acres were calculated.

Daniel Whisenhunt said:

Landman,

I'm just really confused. My deed references that Me and my sister own 320 acres in Township 152 Range 103 section 24, but my aunt's deed references the same property. my deed says 320 acres and the lease says 320 acres but my aunt says we only own 40 acres (Gross vs Net acreage). Can you shed any light on this. I would be willing to email a electronic copy of both the deed and the lease if required. my lease is coming up for renewal and I need to know what all of this means.

V/r

Daniel Whisenhunt

Concerned Landman said:

Jodi,
I just stumbled on this forum tonight. If I have the time, I am more than willing to share what I know with people. I obviously can't give legal advice as I'm not an attorney, and I can't disclose confidential information that I might be involved with. I know many landmen who are very honest and conscientious people, but I also am aware a few situations where I felt people did not get treated fairly. Most landmen will give you some advice, but I would call more than one and compare what you learn. There is a lot of information at: https://www.dmr.nd.gov/oilgas/. Do a well search and find some of the companies drilling and contact them. In the mean time, if you have a specific question, I'll try and answer it. Landman

Daniel, maybe this will help shed light on your last question.

The deeds you are referring to should specify which 320 acres like the N/2 or S/2 or E/2 or NE/4, SE/4 of Section 24, Township 152 North, Range 103 West that you, your sister and aunt own minerals in. You, your sister and your aunt own mineral rights within that 320 gross acre tract(s) which ownership can be anywhere from a fraction of an acre to the entire 320 acres. In your case you say you and your sister's net in that gross 320 is 40 net acres. If you and your sister own 40 net of that 320 gross, your aunt could own anywhere from a fraction of an acre to the remaining 280 of the original tracts(s) of 320 gross.

Tim Metz

We got an offer to lease minerals in Williams County.

T159N R102W Section 12

The offer was $1000 an acre 18% Royalty, 4 year lease.

This land has not been previously leased and the company is trying to get the leases in this area.

Is this a good first offer? We thought it sounded good but are surprised that they gave this as a first offer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do you know where Hanks is?? Your name is familiar to me.

Elizabeth S. Hogg said:

Our land is not close to you, but I suspect you can do better. We're in Williams Co. Our fist offer was for $300 per acre w/ 1/6 royalty. We're now up to $550 and 3/16. Make sure you ask for 3/16, since that seems to be the going rate.

Gail - My mom was born and raised in Hanks. Her name was Vivian Johnson Sullivan. Congrats on the $1000 per acre offer!

Gail said:

Do you know where Hanks is?? Your name is familiar to me.

Elizabeth S. Hogg said:

Cristina said:

The 320 acres are undivided interest which means that you don't own any particular acre. You and/or your aunt owner 40 net acres out of the 320 gross acres. So, if there is oil on any of the 320 acres you would get your pro rata share based on 40 acres. It appears that probably over time as title of the property moved the actual mineral acres owned had been reduced. If there are several members in your family then the net acre number could have been reduced. The landman should be able to tell you how the net acres were calculated.

Daniel Whisenhunt said:

Landman,

V/r

Daniel Whisenhunt

Concerned Landman said:

Jodi,