North Dakota- inherited mineral rights

My siblings and I inherited mineral rights in North Dakota. Im looking for advice. Is there anyone specific I should contact regarding status/opportunities or steps I need to take in order to benefit from these rights. i have not received any letters or information stating we are owed anything as of yet. Thank you.

Normally there is a process to get the minerals in your name depending on if there was a will, trust, transfer on death deed or intestacy. A ND attorney should be consulted regarding this process. Once that process is completed if minerals are being produced, the companies should be contacted.

Welcome to the forum.

Once you have the mineral rights title completed, then it is the mineral owners’ responsibility to file their name and address and the description of those rights in the county courthouses where those tracts lie. If you post in the North Dakota, County and list the section, township and range, then folks that watch those areas can let you know who the operators are. It is up to you to contact them with any changes of title, address, etc. Note that North Dakota has a dormant mineral law, so you do need to file to keep the minerals that are non-productive every 20 years. I file all of mine (including the producing ones), just to make sure they all stay on the same schedule. There is a template that the counties prefer. You would have to call and inquire. (My copy is fairly old). Just like real estate, value and activity is based upon location, location, location. Some counties are active with good reservoirs and some are not.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.