Non-participating royalty interest in the George Hanks Survey, A-352

I received a call from an oil company interested in purchasing my "non-participating royalty interest in the George Hanks Survey, A-352" inherited from my father.

Can someone help me find out about this interest, as I don't know about it. Thanks for any assistance.

Charles

I'm thinking you will need to share some more information before anyone will be able to help you. I'm assuming the oil company that contacted you couldn't provide you any details about that interest they say you own. If not and you have a way to contact them I would ask them to provide you any information their research turned about it.

If the folks who contacted you are correct that this is a non-participating royalty interest then I would be trying to find out who currently owns the rest of that mineral interest...in other words the "particpating" side of it, and then trying to determine what the lease status of that interest is.

Based on what I know about that area I'm thinking the property you have interest in may have been leased in the last year or two by Graem Resouces, who it's now understood was acquiring leases for EOG. If you don't know EOG I'd do a web search to learn their track record. Since EOG recently drilled what is being referred to as a verticle "research" well a few miles northeast of your location which folks are hoping will lead to additional horizontal drilling in that area, I would be very hesitant about selling any type o mineral interest I owned in that area, certainly not without thoroughly reseaching what was happening up there.

You might start by posting what you do know about the interest you own. What was your father's name, how did he acquire this interest, do you know anything about the tract of land that it relates to...how many acres, etc? Some research in the Anderson County deed records may be required to pin this down but post what you know and I expect someone will try to help you get started.

In the mean time if you don't understand what a non-participating royalty interest means google search will educate you on that.

Dusty said:

Charles

I'm thinking you will need to share some more information before anyone will be able to help you. I'm assuming the oil company that contacted you couldn't provide you any details about that interest they say you own. If not and you have a way to contact them I would ask them to provide you any information their research turned about it.

If the folks who contacted you are correct that this is a non-participating royalty interest then I would be trying to find out who currently owns the rest of that mineral interest...in other words the "particpating" side of it, and then trying to determine what the lease status of that interest is.

Based on what I know about that area I'm thinking the property you have interest in may have been leased in the last year or two by Graem Resouces, who it's now understood was acquiring leases for EOG. If you don't know EOG I'd do a web search to learn their track record. Since EOG recently drilled what is being referred to as a verticle "research" well a few miles northeast of your location which folks are hoping will lead to additional horizontal drilling in that area, I would be very hesitant about selling any type o mineral interest I owned in that area, certainly not without thoroughly reseaching what was happening up there.

You might start by posting what you do know about the interest you own. What was your father's name, how did he acquire this interest, do you know anything about the tract of land that it relates to...how many acres, etc? Some research in the Anderson County deed records may be required to pin this down but post what you know and I expect someone will try to help you get started.

In the mean time if you don't understand what a non-participating royalty interest means google search will educate you on that.

Thanks for your response, but I don't know anything about the interest, just what the oil company representative said. I didn't ask anything of them because I did not intend to sell anyway. What I was trying to find out was how can I find out about the property with just my dad's name. He never mentioned that tract, only the property in the Russell survey that is leased by Graem. His name is TR Bowker if anyone has run across it.

Thanks though for the response.

If you own land in the Russell Survey and leased to Graem you probably know it joins the Hanks Survey on the southeast end. If you can go to courthouse in Palestine you can check the deed record index for entries in your family's name. I would start with the grantor index and look at any deeds involving your family, maybe starting around the time your father acquired the tract in the Russell Survey if you know that date.

If you don't find a recorded deed showing a tract your father sold with a non-participating royalty being retained it's possible he inherited the NPR from someone else who had retained it, which may be harder to locate. In any case though something had to have been recorded in your father's name or the folks who contacted you wouldn't have known who to call.

Thanks so much for the info. I am sure that will let me know what I want to know.
Dusty said:

If you own land in the Russell Survey and leased to Graem you probably know it joins the Hanks Survey on the southeast end. If you can go to courthouse in Palestine you can check the deed record index for entries in your family's name. I would start with the grantor index and look at any deeds involving your family, maybe starting around the time your father acquired the tract in the Russell Survey if you know that date.

If you don't find a recorded deed showing a tract your father sold with a non-participating royalty being retained it's possible he inherited the NPR from someone else who had retained it, which may be harder to locate. In any case though something had to have been recorded in your father's name or the folks who contacted you wouldn't have known who to call.