Newton Co. Royalty value

I am looking for the rough rule of thumb value for the sale of mineral royalties for oil & gas in Newton Co. in 2020. I heard somewhere that value for sale is the annual royalties multiplied by some factor. What is the factor to multiply by? These are small interests, and have produced on and off for decades. Thanks for your help in advance. This is a great forum, I have to say.

Hi, and welcome to the forum :slight_smile: .

3-5 times the last 12 months of royalties is the typical rule of thumb you probably heard.

Word of caution though: this is only a decent method if you have no drilling in the area, and if the wells are not horizontal shale wells (which sounds like yours are not, but saying it out loud for anyone else reading this). Basically, this should be an OK rule of thumb if you’re in the south 1/2 of Newton, but could underestimate value in the north half.

OK, I have no idea whether there is “drilling in the area”. These interests seem to be throughout the Newton County area. I inherited these very small royalty interests and never took oil & gas in law school. I cannot even navigate the Texas RRC website, since I am almost computer-illiterate. Where should I start my research? Well numbers at RRC?

The RRC is the place to look. That is the source of information. You can search by abstract or well.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.