Newbie here with inherited mineral rights

Newbie here and I feel completely overwhelmed. I received information from my father about mineral rights given to him from his late father. I’ve look at the OCC website and don’t even know where to start. Here is the info I have:

20 Acres in SW quarter of the SE quarter & NE quarter of SE quarter Sec 12 Township 5-South range 3-E-IM Marshall County Owner: JT Bandy (James Thomas Bandy)

Can anyone please help me with how to search for info? I mean I feel at this point someone else probably owns it but I told my 82 yr old father I would try my best to figure this out. Thanks

Do you know what year your father inherited this parcel of minerals?

1 Like

You can find the location on the OCC well data finder map.

Zooming in more…

No wells on it. Read the description from right to left. Use the second map and mentally draw section 12 into quarters. Look at the SE quarter. Now draw it into quarters and look at the NE quarter or it. Then draw that into quarters and look at the SW quarter. The green is a bit hard to read.

Zoom in more… Between the Ardmore word and Durwood Rd.

1 Like

No, I’m not sure but the handwritten note gives a date of 7/14/92. I don’t know if that is 1892? It says something about original owners “Algood”? JT Bandy died in 1958

Thank you for the information. That was my guestimate location based on my research but I wasn’t sure. I searched mineral rights deeds and I didn’t find anything under his name so I wasn’t sure who to contact to see if he even has anything under his name?

I looked online in the digital files for Marshall County. I looked up JT Bandy but did not find anything digitally. His father’s deed may be filed in the paper files in Marshall county. You can go to the courthouse to look it up. If Algood sold to Bandy, then it would be on file there. Does your dad have a probate from his dad? It is the heir’s responsibility to file any title documents in the county courthouse.

1 Like

Thank you, we are in California so I guess we will have to make a trip to Oklohoma to research all of this. Not sure about probate but I doubt it as his mother sold all their property after his Dad passed and moved to California.

@klbandy, if you are not up for a trip to Oklahoma, you could contact a landman or title company located in or near Marshall County to research your deed history. There may be a fee, but they are usually reasonable.

1 Like

Start with free first, You can research land records back to 1990 here: Marshall County | OKCountyRecords.com | County Clerk Public Land Records for Oklahoma

You might also be able to find probate records here: OSCN Docket Search

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

1 Like

Thank you for those links. I was able to find probate records from 1958 that list the mineral rights. It also includes my Dad’s name in the probate records so it’s looking positive. I also called the local clerks office and she was able to find some other older deeds from back in the late 1800’s. It gets a little complicated because it looks like my Grandpa owned the land at one time and sold the land but kept the mineral interest. Thanks everybody for your help and expertise.

We have lots of Californians who sold their surface but retained their mineral rights. Glad you found the 1958 probate record. Once you have a copy, you will have good information on the legal descriptions.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

1 Like