New well has stopped producing

Is it normal for a new well after only 6 months of production to stop producing? This seems to be the case with the Hamm 9 well. 20n 5w section 9. I was new to all this back in December when I found out about the new well. I'm from California so I'm not a novice like a lot of you are on this oil/gas well subject. Not sure how Longfellow could've profited from this well. The decline was way more than what was explained to me earlier on on this forum. So my last check for the month of June was, well nothing. Would they consider drilling another well perhaps?

Sandra,

I know on some of our wells, they have worked on it, ie: pulled the tubing and done some other maintenance. I know very little about the horizontal wells, but on one of our horizontal wells, they pulled the tubing and it took approx. 3 weeks before they started it up again. Do not know what they did exactly, but it was done 4 months after the well started producing. After that, it really increased the production. I know because there was one month with no production on the check, but the next month WOW it was a whole lot better! It could be that they did not sell a load of oil from your well for the month of June. I would like to know from the experts on here, what they are usually doing when they pull the tubing and work on the well for almost a month. I know it is pretty hard to do if you do not live close to the well, but I usually find the pumper when he is checking the well, and ask what is going on. Like you I do not live close to this well of ours to catch the pumper and ask him questions. I don't live as far away as you but I still have not been there when the pumper is. You may try to call the company and ask to speak to the supervisor who is in charge of that county's well (Garfield).

Hope this answer helps. Maybe we can get the experts to answer. There are a lot of them on this forum. It may be best for your well! Cannot see them quitting production without trying everything they can to get it producing better. This could take several weeks/months, so don't give up!

Mark

Thanks Mark for your encouraging thoughts on this. I believe something else is going on now. I contacted them (Longfellow) just to make there was no check. And the she said that was correct that the well was only producing on average 100 barrels a day. Wow I wish it was I responded back to her. Not a word back from them. In other words I would've had a check. Something very iffy is going on here. Who would I contact regarding this matter of stealing my interest?

Thanks,

Sandra

M.D. Rodenberg said:

Sandra,

I know on some of our wells, they have worked on it, ie: pulled the tubing and done some other maintenance. I know very little about the horizontal wells, but on one of our horizontal wells, they pulled the tubing and it took approx. 3 weeks before they started it up again. Do not know what they did exactly, but it was done 4 months after the well started producing. After that, it really increased the production. I know because there was one month with no production on the check, but the next month WOW it was a whole lot better! It could be that they did not sell a load of oil from your well for the month of June. I would like to know from the experts on here, what they are usually doing when they pull the tubing and work on the well for almost a month. I know it is pretty hard to do if you do not live close to the well, but I usually find the pumper when he is checking the well, and ask what is going on. Like you I do not live close to this well of ours to catch the pumper and ask him questions. I don't live as far away as you but I still have not been there when the pumper is. You may try to call the company and ask to speak to the supervisor who is in charge of that county's well (Garfield).

Hope this answer helps. Maybe we can get the experts to answer. There are a lot of them on this forum. It may be best for your well! Cannot see them quitting production without trying everything they can to get it producing better. This could take several weeks/months, so don't give up!

Mark

Mark,

I checked with the OCC and they did not have a report for a sale of oil for the month of June. The operator Longfellow hasn't answered any of my emails since then. They usually don't want to talk or discuss this stuff with mineral owners. Also it seems I've read somewhere that when they are drilling or fracking a new well close by, like another section that they might stop the well for the time being. Does that sound right or something to that effect? Thanks.

Sandra

M.D. Rodenberg said:

Sandra,

Mark

Hi Sandra - I had the same thing happen with Longfellow, my 6 month old well was producing 150 BOPD. When they fracked the new well on my mineral interest they turned off the original well for a couple weeks and when they started it back up production in the original well went down to 2 BOPD. I was told by Longfellow that it can take a few months for production to increase back up in the original well. So I think this is what normally happens. This was a couple months ago and it has been steadily increasing when I call and check we are now up to 23 BOPD when I checked a couple weeks ago. However, I want to say Longfellow has been very helpful with answering my questions. I like what I read about the company and the lady I talk to is always so nice. Good luck to you! I hope your well starts increasing rapidly! P.S. Where on the OCC do you check to see if your oil was sold for the month or not? Kris

Hi Kris,

Sounds like you've had a lot better experience talking with the operator. They usually don't want to talk to mineral owners. In my case they wouldn't respond to any of my emails. I contacted the OCC and a very nice manager with the oil & gas complaint dept. emailed this info that's how I knew for sure that there WAS NOT a June sale. She always responded to all my emails, unlike Longfellow that blew me off, how rude. Your info I found helpful. I actually did get a check the other day for July production month. So I'm pretty sure it was turned off because of all the new wells in the sections below section 9 that Longfellow just completed in July and August. Or that tubing process that Mark had mentioned. Sounds like that really helps the flow increase.

Sandra

Sandra,

Hope your well is on the way to recovering! That stinks about Kris' s well going from 150 to 2. Hope his picks back up as that loss will be hard to recover. I guess ours being the last one in the area to be drilled maybe they won't do that to ours. Good Luck!