New Owner

Hello, I'm a new mineral rights owner with rights in Burke, McKenzie and Mountrail counties. Most of the rights are on 6 full sections and 9 partial sections, so as you can see I'm dealing with a multiple areas in each of these counties. I'm curious where to start researching surveys and activity in the oil/gas fields where my rights are located. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Bryan,

The NDIC is quite user friendly and loaded with information, as well as this website.

Here is the GIS Map, on the bottom left click on "find section" and then put in your Township Range and Section numbers to view the activity. There are 2 wells within 150/96/24

https://www.dmr.nd.gov/OaGIMS/viewer.htm

good luck,

Susan

Bryan:

You can access alot of information from the North Dakota Industrial Commission website. The GIS map will provide information on existing permits and wells in your area. You will need to plug in your Township;Range;Section to view the map of your area. Also, you can join the County Group for your county and these are individuals whom have interest in this area. In order to learn production on specific wells, you must pay a subscription fee to the NDIC for this publication. All this other info is on the website at no cost.

Susan,

Thank you for the great advice. I looked and the site and map as you suggested. It appears that the well in the SW corner is very close or within the confines of my ownership......is there a way to determine what is really happening on the ground??

Bryan

Bryan,

When you ask if there is a way to determine what is really happening on the ground, do you mean on the surface of the section? Google earth might show surface activity, but it would also be dated to the time those were photographed. I know some google earth sites, are more than 2 to 3 years old or more. Eser.org is quite out of date, by approximately 2 years.

Both of the wells within that section, have been operational for some time. Did you inherit these minerals recently? The monthly payout royalty checks from these wells, should have long been in place by now.

Susan

Bryan,

Here are the two well production reports from 150/96/24; first one was spud Nov 2006. Second one was spud April 2011.

NDIC File No: 16357 API No: 33-053-02755-00-00 CTB No: 116357
Well Type: OG Well Status: A Status Date: 11/10/2006 Wellbore type: Horizontal
Location: SWSW 13-150-96 Footages: 315 FSL 350 FWL Latitude: 47.804981 Longitude: -102.918079
Current Operator: BURLINGTON RESOURCES OIL & GAS COMPANY LP
Current Well Name: VEEDER 14-13H
Elevation(s): 2474 KB 2454 GL Total Depth: 17615 Field: BLUE BUTTES
Spud Date(s): 9/12/2006
Casing String(s): 9.625" 2045' 7" 11181'
Completion Data
Pool: BAKKEN Perfs: 11181-17615 OH Comp: 11/10/2006 Status: AL Date: 8/31/2007 Spacing: 2SEC
Cumulative Production Data
Pool: BAKKEN Cum Oil: 196635 Cum MCF Gas: 241547 Cum Water: 15741
Production Test Data
IP Test Date: 2/26/2007 Pool: BAKKEN IP Oil: 371 IP MCF: 469 IP Water: 15

NDIC File No: 19288 API No: 33-053-03208-00-00 CTB No: 119288
Well Type: OG Well Status: A Status Date: 4/15/2011 Wellbore type: Horizontal
Location: SWSW 24-150-96 Footages: 340 FSL 590 FWL Latitude: 47.790594 Longitude: -102.917284
Current Operator: BURLINGTON RESOURCES OIL & GAS COMPANY LP
Current Well Name: VEEDER 14-24H
Elevation(s): 2465 GR 2461 GL Total Depth: 20577 Field: BLUE BUTTES
Spud Date(s): 9/10/2010
Casing String(s): 9.625" 1997' 7" 11310'
Completion Data
Pool: BAKKEN Perfs: 11310-20577 Comp: 4/15/2011 Status: F Date: 4/22/2011 Spacing: 2SEC
Cumulative Production Data
Pool: BAKKEN Cum Oil: 72297 Cum MCF Gas: 89343 Cum Water: 20981
Production Test Data
IP Test Date: 4/22/2011 Pool: BAKKEN IP Oil: 984 IP MCF: 1972 IP Water: 504

Susan,

The rights were inherited about 5 years ago and until now, I have not given them much thought since I thought if someone was interested, they would contact me. Now I would like to attempt to stir up some interest and see what can become of it.

When I say "on the ground" i mean any drilling, seismic surveys, etc....Just looking for an indication if anything has been explored in the area. I guess you could say I want to be more educated about the rights and see if there is any value.

Google earth is a great idea and I agree it can be very dated.

Maybe you can help me with what seems like a very elementary question. On the nd.gov section search, I see black lines extending into the section from the well point. What does that like mean?

Bryan

Bryan, you need to get a sibscription to the NDIC O&G Division. The $50 per year will be quite worth it. Did you inherit acres burdened by leases? If your acres are unleased you should make careful study of activity before signing any leases because leasing may not be the best option. Once you have the subscription to the NDIC you can look in the wellfiles and there you will find the well location in feet from section lines, you won't get any closer measurement than that. The NDIC site is easy to use but let me know if you need any help.

Brian, the older well drilled from section 13 into section 24 has almost certainly paid for itself long ago. I would participate in this well if you are given the option to do so. You hand them a check and they hand you a bigger one and you collect 100% less cost of production for your interest from now on. Think about it if you aren't leased.

RW,

I did not inherit any leases, well at least I'm not aware of any leases. I will take your advice and subscribe to the NDIC O&G division. I have at a minimum 15 land areas to research so I'm sure I will be a bit busy:)

I appreciate you extending an offer to provide assistance. I'm sure we will be in contact.

One question....what options does a person have besides leasing?

Bryan

Susan,

The data is greatly appreciated. Not sure what it all means but with a little studying, I'll learn lots and figure it out!

Thank you Bryan

RWK,

On the GIS for 150/96/24 one of the wells was drilled in section 13, but has 2 legs. One goes across 13 and the other goes into 24. Yet the production amount of the well only posts one amount. When a well is drilled in that fashion, does royalty pay out, the same as if it was a one leg 1280 spacing? What if one leg is twice the production? I suppose it doesn't really matter, but interesting to follow, given the reports of how much of the oil comes from the first 640, vs the second 640 of a 1280 one leg. I'm guessing more companies don't drill in this fashion, due to initial extra drilling costs of the two vertical portions of each stretch.

Thanks,

Susan

Do alot of research. I added something to my reply above, refresh the page if you don't see two paragraphs. At 196k barrels of oil the well in section 13 has probably been paid off for more than 80k barrels. Possibly alot more. Those older wells usually didn't cost as much as todays wells.

Bryan Larson said:

RW,

I did not inherit any leases, well at least I'm not aware of any leases. I will take your advice and subscribe to the NDIC O&G division. I have at a minimum 15 land areas to research so I'm sure I will be a bit busy:)

I appreciate you extending an offer to provide assistance. I'm sure we will be in contact.

One question....what options does a person have besides leasing?

Bryan

Bryan:

One option is to participate in the well or wells. There has several on this forum that has taken that route but I have never participated in wells. I'm sure others who have past experience in this matter will be happy to inform you.

Bryan,

Those black lines on the GIS map, are the horizontal portions of wells drilled. If they were vertical wells, it'd only show a black dot. The lines show precisely where the wells begin and which direction. Most horizontal spacings are 640 or 1280, so any mineral owner within that particular spacing, is included in the well production for royalty, according to their net minerals and whatever royalty % they signed the lease for.

Have you received royalty payments on those 2 wells? If not, such as RWKennedy states, there are options to leasing, or not leasing. First of all, when you inherited these minerals, was a deed transferred to your name and recorded in each of the county courthouses? Also, if the person you inherited from, passed away in another state besides ND, was it probated within ND? All of that would be necessary to place claim to any royalty.

Susan

Bryan Larson said:

Susan,

The rights were inherited about 5 years ago and until now, I have not given them much thought since I thought if someone was interested, they would contact me. Now I would like to attempt to stir up some interest and see what can become of it.

When I say "on the ground" i mean any drilling, seismic surveys, etc....Just looking for an indication if anything has been explored in the area. I guess you could say I want to be more educated about the rights and see if there is any value.

Google earth is a great idea and I agree it can be very dated.

Maybe you can help me with what seems like a very elementary question. On the nd.gov section search, I see black lines extending into the section from the well point. What does that like mean?

Bryan

Susan, that is a 1280 spacing and production is coming from both halves. the operator can sidetrack and put as many legs on a well as he feels comfortable with, with only one verticle. I'm fine with how they drilled it, the pull from the pump will be more even on both sides.

Snues said:

RWK,

On the GIS for 150/96/24 one of the wells was drilled in section 13, but has 2 legs. One goes across 13 and the other goes into 24. Yet the production amount of the well only posts one amount. When a well is drilled in that fashion, does royalty pay out, the same as if it was a one leg 1280 spacing? What if one leg is twice the production? I suppose it doesn't really matter, but interesting to follow, given the reports of how much of the oil comes from the first 640, vs the second 640 of a 1280 one leg. I'm guessing more companies don't drill in this fashion, due to initial extra drilling costs of the two vertical portions of each stretch.

Thanks,

Susan