New owner D-J basin, Niobrara shale Codell formations

Hello,

My family recently went thru the probate process with an Attorney & Landman.

Our minerals are located in Goshen County , Wyoming. Not currently leased as far as I know.

SW1/4 of Section 21, Township 20 North, Range 64 West of the 6th P.M.

NW1/4 of Section 28, Township 20 North, Range 64 West of the 6th P.M.

This area is in SouthWest corner of Goshen County , part of the Denver-Julesburg Basin. Recent drilling permits for 50 fracking wells for the Niobrara Shale & Codell formations in nearby area.

I have looked at the Wyoming gov websites for leasing and producing info, but I’m not seeing that anything is happening in my exact spot.

Asking for help from the knowledgeable forum members to please take a look to see if I’m missing something. This is all new to me and I’m on a learning curve.

Also on 1 of the maps it showed another formation that looks like a green cloud. Does anyone know what that is called, or what is it ? Also there is a symbol that looks like a coffee pot with handle, what is that for ?

Thank you in advance

@Davy, attached map below. It does appear that there were some permits awaiting approval in those sections. Operator is Largo Exploration and lease was held by NA28 Minerals LLC of Lakewood Colorado. The green cloud is probably a symbol for an oil field, but I am not sure what the coffee handle is. There is an i for information button on the map that may show the symbols. The Wyoming map does take some time to set up the layers so you can see what you are looking for.

Thank you, this is helpful information.

How do I find out who is the leaseholder ? With the company you mentioned.

Largo Exploration has 50 new permits applications pending for horizontal wells for the Niobrara & Codell formations.

I have been receiving certified mail stating that the permits are for areas close by. BUT this map you sent is showing well permit for my area, green dot with black line.

@Davy, here is the link for the lease search.https://statelands.wyo.gov/oilgasleases/

See also https://statelands.wyo.gov/subsurfaceassignments/ (Lease number was 18-00378)

The wells shown close to your owned areas were not fully permitted. They were/are only awaiting approval.

Thank you.

I looked up that lease, which expired December 2023, so that will end the over-riding royalties, But it says that this lease is for All of Section #16. My minerals are in Sections 21 & 28.

I noticed that NA28 Minerals, LLC shares the same address as Elk Mesa Energy, LLC, (so they must be partnered companies) ?

@Davy, sometimes LLCs with the same address are just using the same LLC agent and not necessarily partners, but it could also be that they work together. Sorry this search didn’t turn up anything active, but it does look like the area has future possibilities. Seems there is always something new to learn in the mineral rights area.

1 Like

Its interesting to read about the whole process, and there is so much to learn.

So far I have enjoyed researching the different geological formations, and mineral contents analysis. This area is showing to have light crude oil, liquid natural gas, propane, CO2 , plus rare earths elements, mostly Valandium.

Yesterday, I found the Wells Data Base and Drillings websites have been helpful too.
Just wondering now- with the 46 well permits applications pending, will my family be receiving any paperwork about leasing? or will the leaseholder be only for the actual surface land owners and the operating companies ?

@Davy, at some point you may find it useful to search the Goshen County Land records for your family name to see what the leasing history has been and to better understand what you own. I didn’t see a free way to do this online, but if you live in the area you may be able to do a search at the County Clerk’s office. If there is a new mineral lease needed, you or your family may be contacted directly. Surface owners may also be involved for surface issues or for mineral issues if they also hold a portion of the mineral rights.

Thank you for this advice.

I’m far away from Wyoming. Last year, I did an online visit to the Goshen County Records website. I may be paying the daily use fee, $10 , to print off some records.

I was thinking about driving over there and road-tripping thru Wyoming. I have drove thru several times going to a job location. I have always enjoyed the Wyoming scenery and wild flowers meadows.

Davy, the symbol you’re looking at that looks like a coffee pot with a handle may be a Teapot Well. There’s quite a few of those in Wyoming in that area.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.