New Owner by inheritance

Hi, my name is Beth; I am in Ellis County, TX and apparently I now own my family’s inherited mineral rights described as: SE 1/4 NW 1/4 of Section 19, Township 4 South, Range 1 West Carter County, OK. What does this mean? and do I have to go to Ardmore to find out? Thank you in advance & sorry for such a silly question, but have to start somewhere, right?

1 Like

I moved your question over to Carter County.
Did you receive the minerals by will did a land company let you know?
Did your ancestor live in OK or TX? You will have to file foreign probate or use an affidavit of Heirship in OK if they were out out state.

You do not necessarily need to go to Ardmore. Much can be found online. If you were contacted by a land man, ask how they got your name, what the title paragraph said that put you in heirship, can you please get a copy of it for your records.

You will need to make sure that your name and address are on file with a description of the minerals acres in the proper county clerk’s office.

In the meantime, read about Mineral Help on the tab above. Read the Blogs, read all the Carter County discussions and topics over the last six months or so to get caught up on the news.

Come back and ask tons of questions!

1 Like

Thank you for your kind and informative reply. I inherited from my mother, who lived in Texas, who inherited from my father, grandmother, etc…back to 18??.

I have all successive deed transfer papers. The latest is a Quit Claim Deed 2018 filed in Carter County by probate lawyer here in Texas.

My mom heard from a few landmen back in early 2000’s but never followed up.

i just wondered where it really is, is there a map? I guess its not in production? And I will follow up with Carter County Clerk as soon as I can. Thanks again.

[quote=“Beth53, post:1, topic:35001”] SE 1/4 NW 1/4 of Section 19, Township 4 South, Range 1 West Carter County, OK. [/quote]Good, then you filed in Carter County. Do they have your current address?

There is some production in the NW4 of 19. Whether or not you have royalties coming depends upon the spacing of the wells overlapping your minerals. You can do a quick check by using your name, your mom’s name, father’s name, grandmother’s name at the Oklahoma Treasurer Unclaimed funds office and see if anything is being held there. I have a feeling, they may be at 40 acre spacing and not quite far enough south in the section.

JONES L E OPERATING INC is the company operating those wells. Operator: You might contact them and see if they are holding anything for you.

Carter County Map.pdf (425.7 KB)

Here is a map of Carter County. Look for Lone Grove and then go a bit to the left.

1 Like

Wow! So much awesome info! Thanks. It looks (without paying fees) like Avalon Oil & Gas III LLC has many entries in Carter Co with same description as of 2012. This was a very old lease divided many times in the 1920’s? I will follow up on your leads and with the County office next week. Thank you so much. This looks like fun, maybe I should somehow invest?

Not much drilling in this section right now, but there is horizontal drilling coming into Carter County. Get informed, see if you have any funds in suspense and be ready. If someone tries to lease, come back and ask questions. First offers are usually low and the lease clauses will not be in your favor. Negotiation will be required.

1 Like

Again, many thanks. Good night.

I looked at the deed. It has your name and address on it so current and future oil companies should be able to locate you. You should also provide a copy of the deed to Jones Operating.

My grandfather Ward Bean originally obtained minerals in 19 and 18 in this township way back in the 1920s or so. L.E. Jones has drilled many wells in this area and some still produce in NW of 19 and SW of 18 where Avalon of Tulsa also has production. You are getting great help from folks already but the area does and will continue to have both shallow and deeper production.

Thank you very much for your info. Sorry it took me so long to reply.