New Mineral Rights Owner With Questions

I recently inherited mineral rights in Doddridge, Harrison and Ritchie Counties in WV. I am trying to wrap my mind around all of this and am wondering if there is a way to match up the leases with the tax statements. Additionally, I am paying taxes on a property that was in an estate where the individual passed away in 1977 and it appears the transfer was never made to the person for whom I am P.R. and heir. Any advice on where to start? I’d like to find out if it’s worth my time and money to pursue settling of the original estate and getting everything in my name.

Hi Cindy! It might not be possible to match the leases with the tax statements right away. The tax statements for mineral interests start with 9999 and they don’t match up with any given surface tract. However, the tax rolls are online and you can track the current tax tickets back to where they changed hands, and even back to where they were originally separated from a surface tract. It takes a while, but it’s doable. Once you know the surface tract, you can follow it forward in time and look for leases in the names of the various surface owners until you get to the leases you have.

The property that was never transferred may need an ancillary estate done. Again, it’s going to take research and some paperwork, but it’s doable. Good luck, and have fun with this! Oil and gas is fascinating.

Thanks for your quick response. I will try that and see how far I get.

I know Nick Criado at AMCO has helped me with some tax parcel searches. You may want to try him

I see someone mentioned Nick Criado at AMCO. My family recently (within the last 30 days) used Nicks services to have an Oil & Gas Price Valuation done for inherited minerals in Wetzel County and Marion County. The lawyer we used to sell some minerals recommended Nick. Nicks charge for doing both valuations was very reasonable. I would definitely recommend his services.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.