New Mineral Rights Owner - Williams County, ND

After a family probate, I came into possession of about 120 net acres of mineral rights in Williams County, ND spanning over 11 different tracts. I've done a little GIS research and determined that there is heavy activity on these acres.

I have the "Co-Personal Representatives' Mineral Deed of Distribution" which contains the legal description of the acres in question. How do I proceed to collect any suspended royalties owed? Do I need to get a title abstract? Do I reach out to the operators directly?

How much is the average acre of mineral rights worth in royalties in Williams county, Beaver Lodge and Capa oil fields where I can see multiple active sites per tract?

I'm very new to this and any advice I can get would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Jack,

Get your deed recorded in Williams County first thing. You can subscribe to the NDIC and get information on drilling on each of your tracts. You may find that you have been force pooled, ignored, unleased or held by production from old wells. Each tract may be different depending on the amount and legal location. There are some important filings that need to be make in ND to protect your interest against takings. The forms are generally found on line at the county recorder's office or on the generous members of MRF.

Once you have figured out your potential claim to revenue, the Accounts Payable Department of the individual operators will be a good place to start. Title Abstracts are usually done by operators in the form of Division Order Title Opinions; confidential documents held by the Operators' land departments.

Eventually you may want to get the acreage potential evaluated before spending too much on legal title work.

Hi Gary,

Thank you very much for your helpful reply. The deed has been recorded in Williams County. I’ll make sure to go on the county website and take a look at the forms there. Yesterday, I subscribed to the NDIC and found that in 2010 one area of my holdings was deemed “abandoned” and reverted back to the current land owner.

If the deed has been recorded in Williams County, and I can see it on the NDIC database, do I need to file any additional paperwork to ensure the rest of my mineral rights are not seized and taken back by the current land owners?

Definitely!! Also check out the statutes to see how to get the lost minerals back. GLH

Jack Dee said:

Hi Gary,

Thank you very much for your helpful reply. The deed has been recorded in Williams County. I'll make sure to go on the county website and take a look at the forms there. Yesterday, I subscribed to the NDIC and found that in 2010 one area of my holdings was deemed "abandoned" and reverted back to the current land owner.

If the deed has been recorded in Williams County, and I can see it on the NDIC database, do I need to file any additional paperwork to ensure the rest of my mineral rights are not seized and taken back by the current land owners?

Jack,

Also, if you haven't already, file a "Statement of Claim of Mineral Interest" with Williams County.

Downloadable here: https://www.dmr.nd.gov/oilgas/surfacemineralownerinfo.asp

Rick