New Mineral Rights Owner - Head Spinning

Not even sure where to start with this. I inherited about 6 pages worth of Mineral Rights from my mom, most are in Pottawatomie County. I’ve been trying to read about what to do with these and my head is spinning. I’m not sure where to start. She does have royalties with 6 oil companies, which I am transferring into my name, that’s the easy part, but how can I find out if any of these other areas are producing. I would like to try to research myself if possible. I have lists of properties as an example: E/2 NW4 and Lot Four (4) of Section 5, Township 5 North, Range 2 East of the Indian Meridian, Pottawatomie County, OK. One thing she said to me, is to never sell them, I’m guessing this is good advice? I’m reading about landmen, but I don’t know how to find a good one. I guess I will need one, if I can’t do this myself. Any help would be very appreciated.

Someone will help you on this site just be patient, also I learn that you can go online for the clerk of courts and do a lot of research on there ! Sorry I can’t help more but there is a lot of good people on here that will! Good luck and try the online court house

1 Like

You can do most of the research yourself.

You can start with the Oklahoma Tax site. Go to the PUN help on the lower left and enter in your section, township and range. Use a leading zero. And choose ALL for the quarter section just to get started. If there are horizontal wells, you may need to hunt from the bottom hole location (yes, rather strange).

Also use the Oklahoma Corporation Commission well records site. Test. You have to hunt using the surface location. If there are horizontal wells, they may have a surface location in a nearby section.

1 Like

One used to be able to use US Land records to search Pottawatomie County, but it appears that link no longer works. In late August, the County Clerk’s office told me that all their records had been sent out for scanning so that everything would be online - no more searching for deeds in the books. I’d recommend calling the office to find out if/when the records will be online and you can search them yourself. Their web page says to fill out a form for them to search, but that’s not what they indicated to me. Here’s the link: PCOG - County Clerk's Office Mark Oates was my landman for the past 4 years, helping me with my mother’s estate. I obtained many of the old deeds myself, including in Pottawatomie, the old fashioned way - going through all the books and getting the copies that way.

1 Like

Most counties in OK are on where you can search for free. Pottawatomie is not on there-yet.

1 Like

Thank you all for your responses! I will check out these links and give it a try. I might be back with more questions. Thank you!

One thing is to figure out what kind of rights you have. I recently also had to figure out what to do with a bunch of rights. There were different kinds of rights, such as

  • X% Overriding Royalty in lease …
  • X% Working Interest in lease …
  • Oil payment of $$$/acre payable out of lease
  • etc

There were all different kinds of rights. When you look at your list, what kinds of rights do you have? Are they all the same or are there different qualifiers like these?

Pottawatomie County can be searched here: Real Property Official Records Search (

67 of the 77 counties offer some form of free search, Caddo & Tulsa have payment portals.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

1 Like

I’ve been reading a lot, but there is so much to learn. I do have one question, I’m trying to locate the areas of my mineral rights on a gis viewer, but I have a question - what does S2S2 mean? The area I’m looking for is “S/2 S/2 of Section 10, Township 6 North, Range 3 East” in Pottawatomie County, OK. I found Section 10, 6N3E, but then it is split into what looks like boxes with directions (NWNW, SWNW, etc), so how do I find S/2 S/2? Thank you!

s/2 is an abbreviation for south half. So, s/2 s/2 is the south half of the south half of Section 10. Suppose you had a square sheet cake, and you cut the south half of the cake off. Then you cut that south half in two again, lengthwise. That is the south half of the south half of a section (or a sheet cake).

1 Like

S-T-R Legal Land Descriptions in OK_Kletke-1.pdf (59.7 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for your help!