New Mineral Owners Questions

Hi I’m new to owning minerals in Okla, have a ton of questions? Not sure what way to go from here, I have read some of the past forums, only brought up more questions. Hope someone can Help!!

I’m in the same boat as you! Overall, this forum can be very helpful if you know nothing about this “oil and gas and mineral rights” game. Peruse the whole website, read every article that pops up. I’ve got answers to some questions but some parts of article created MORE questions. I’m looking for a place to put those questions and get some kind of answers…

1 Like

Hello Ladies…post your questions right here and possibly someone can give you an answer or some comments…information of state, county, section, block, abstract #, township and range always helps when looking up information…and Welcome to the Forum

Thank you Clint and Susan, I have been reading the info provided on some of this, one question I have is how do I know how many mineral acres I have? What kind of money are we talking here? Is it enough money that it would be a practical investment to hire a lawyer? How does the land man know that I own the rights? I’ll stop there and ask more when these ??’s are answered! I appreciate the help:)

If your minerals are in LeFlore County U can go to the County Clerks office or have a landman do that and ‘search title’ to find out what you actually own.

All lands in Oklahoma are listed in sections, townships and ranges. Each respective section, township and range is shown in an index book. so, the index book for section 1-1n-1E would show a chronological listing of all instruments that have recorded that reference Section 1-1n-1E. For example, the first instrument may have been a patent from the US to A. It would show it in Book 100, page 42 for example. To see the instrument, the landman (or attorney, or anybody) would go to Book 100 and flip to page 42 to look at the Patent. Then the index would list all instruments from the 1890s to present. A landman would “run title” and determine what owners own what fractions. In some sections, this could be hundreds of instruments, in others, about 100 to 200. They may determine that X owns 1/2 of the minerals, Y owns 1/4 and Z owns 1/4. As to you hiring somebody to do it, it probably wouldn’t help you any, unless you were being leased, and you thought the acreage was too low, or you were being credited with too little acreage. In other words, you would really only want to do it, if there was a specific purpose, not just to keep your records. But, sometimes you may receive a letter that references how many acres you own. You should keep that as a guide or perhaps a suggestion as to what you own.

Ok thank you Tim, so the land man says I own a 1/4 of a section, how many mineral acres is that?

A section is normally 640 acres so 1/4th would be…?

My husband and I inherited this, that being said there was only 8 acres of the above ground, so how does that give us a the 1/4 interest? We received notice that there will be a hearing on proceeding forward on the leasing of this property, do we need to be there for the hearing? Thank you to all participating in this forum!

You can own all the mineral rights without owning surface rights.

1 Like

You do not need to be at the hearing. I’m assuming this is a pooling hearing. You will get a pooling order at some point after the hearing. You will have to make elections under the pooling order.

What are the pooling elections?

Hi Brett, How is it determined how much minerals that you own?

You have to check your title at the county clerk’s office. Usually the landman has done that before contacting parties to lease, but not always. When a pooling order is signed, the applicant will set out various options for those being pooled to chose from. You will be given 20 days to respond. If you don’t respond in the 20 days, there is a default provision that sets what the bonus will be with a corresponding royalty.

1 Like

The companies land man or lawyer will go to the court house and find out how many net mineral acres you own. If they offer you a lease contract agreement it will state how many acres you own. Be very careful with an independent contract, you may want to hire an oil and gas lawyer. If they pool you you should be safe, everybody else should have the same contract. You can also go to the court house yourself and try to figure it out but you need to know what you are looking for.

Thanks for the info!! :grin:

I inherited minerals in North Dakota and my husband in Texas. This forum is helpful. Over the many years I’ve gotten offers to sell and also lease. My grandma said to never sell them. These minerals are our family legacy. I have cried many a times over the years from all the gifts from my ancestors. Still getting checks 35 years later.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.